Cheap decent protection?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by ziphnor, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

My mistake. Sorry.

2. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

Right now i m running:

-AntiVir PE as resident scanner and very satisfied by its performance (very very light,only con the non incremental update) -free

-Avast Home on demand - free

-ClamWin on demand -free and open source

-Ewido antitrojan on demand - free

-A squared antitrojan on demand -free

-WinPatrol 9 -free

-RegProt - free

-ZAF -free

Cheaper than this... :) The best part is that my system is lighter than ever (i remember when with KAV there was a slight slow down when opening folders...).If you 're careful on where you go and what you click,this is just fine.

3. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

If you custom install you can deselect the option that creates all the ADS.

4. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi q1aqza,

As recently as a few weeks ago, the Pro version of KAV 5.0 still did not have an option to suppress ADS during installation. As a result, it immediately began to use ADS on system files before it could be turned off using the control panel. I had about 30000 ADS files on my machine before I was able to get shut it off, and many of these I was unable to get rid of using the ADS removal utilities. For this reason, I would recommend the KAV Personal edition for any trial. For that matter, I would recommend the 4.5 version over the 5.0. It has the same database and scan/detection engine.

Rich

5. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

My apologies, I only have experience of the personal edition. I didn't realise the pro version didn't have that option. One would have thought it would have been the other way around??

6. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

Yep, I also thought it quite bizarre that KAV 5.0 Personal and Pro have different installation procedures as well as different execution options which really have no rhyme of reason. It seems like one product was developed in one part of Russia and the other in a different location altogether.

Rich

7. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Isn't the 5.0 engine of KAV supposed to be better at detecting stealthing malware? That would make it superior detection-wise, than the KAV 4.x series.... :doubt:

9. richrf

richrf Registered Member

According to Kaspersky support, 4.5. use the same detection/scanning engines and database. I asked, and no one has ever had an occassion when some malware was missed by 4.5 but caught by 5.0. In fact, a recent test posted on this forum showed 4.5 detecting slightly more malware than 5.0. Who knows why??

Rich

10. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

3.5 is still the best version... :)

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Intrigued. I would be very interested in your reasons for this, as I have only recently upgraded one of my computers from AVP 3.5 to KAV 5.

Mainly, this was because Kaspersky support told me that this older version did not detect as much malware as the recent ones :(

12. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Maybe he didn't mean in terms of detection but prefers the GUI, layout, and design of 3.5 -- an aesthetic opinion or remark, if you will .. that is how I took it. ;) Btw what support told you may be true but I've never encountered a sample that KAV 3.5 missed but KAV 4.5 detected. {I don't have KAV 5}. What support told you is probably true but I doubt there is much which the older KAV won't detect. Maybe the cleaning and disinfection in KAV 5 is better; that I would believe, more than the detection abilities, since they are using the same bases. Probably the greatest reason to upgrade is, as you say, the Support for KAV 3.5 has been removed, similar to the way Symantec removes support for older versions of their AV. ;)

13. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Randy

KAV support told me that " we also have newer updates to detect stealthing trojans which will not work in 3.5."

14. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi,

***I really doubt of the efficiency of a 100% FREE protection if the user is not experimented.

***AV + Firewall application: SafenSec Full Package.

***Cheap and very efficient AV: Steganos Antivirus 7: it's Kaspersky AV without the technical support:

http://www.steganos.com/?layout=web2005&content=products_sav_info&language=en

The french PC Mag has tested it with the same methodology of av-test.org (and the same database of AV/Trojans) and results are exactly the KAV ones.

Regards

15. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

kareldjag is avery good link.

this should be Spy Sweeper

http://www.steganos.com/?layout=web2005&content=products_saspy_info&language=en

16. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

If you purchase Steganos, I think you actually have to pay for an upgrade to the next version, regardless of whether your license has expired or not :doubt:

17. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

18. Yeah, but that's because you're running it on the best OS ever made, Windows 3.0 right?

19. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Try NOD + BOClean

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.