Changing your IP address??

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Untouchable J, Jun 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Untouchable J

Untouchable J Registered Member

Good Evening,

I'm a Comcast HSI customer and from my understanding its susposed to use dynamic IP addresses but it never does for me. With ipconfig I see the lease to my address is renewed every 7 days with the same address.....

Due to security concerns I would like to change my IP address, so can anybody help me out? I've read about the ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew commands....will that work? I also read the only way to change your ip address is to change your mac address of your router or ethernet card....is that true? My computer is currently down so I cant try these out myself to see if it works or not. Comcast's support is no help.....

Thanks

-J

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Either:
    • Plug a different physical device (router/ethernet connection) into your modem or
    • Spoof a new MAC address from whatever you plug into your modem (either your router or PC)
    and power cycle the router/PC/modem. IP's are leased to MAC addresses, this should force a new one.

Blue

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Untouchable J,

IP addresses can be tied to MAC addresses but are not necessarily. Disconnecting and reconnecting your modem will cause it to renegotiate the connection and possibly pick up a new IP address but this does depend on how your ISP has configured their DHCP servers.

However as long as you are running a well-configured firewall (i.e. one set up to block any unnecessary traffic) then I would suggest that there is little value in changing your IP address. If you wish to alter it for the sake of online privacy, then you should consider using an anonymising proxy (see Don't Fear Internet Anonymity Tools for a nice, long discussion on these).

4. noway

noway Registered Member

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

A freeware program for doing this can be found at Code Project: MacIDChanger. It involves a registry change and an adapter reset so there seems little point in paying $15 for KLC Consulting's hot-air marketing "We are a proud leader in the Windows MAC Address Modification Utility Research." LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.