Changing read-only on Volume C?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Marsman, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marsman

Marsman Registered Member

I tried out two new defrag programs (Diskeeper Lite V9.0.528.0 & PerfectDisk V7.0 Build 46) to see how they compared to the standard default app. Both programs worked very well however after uninstalling them and now when trying to defrag with the default program I get the following error message:

Disk defragmenter cannot defragment this read-only volume: C

So I’m clear here, the original installed default Disk Defragmenter V1.0 (Executive Software /Diskeeper Lite) analyzes all drives C, D & E but only allows defrags on D and E. When I try to defrag my primary Drive C I get the above error message.

I've posted this elsewhere and also Googled this to death but so far I’ve been unable to find a solution. I believe the Diskeeper Lite V9.xxx uninstall somehow changed my Volume C from read-write to read-only.

My question is how do I change this new read-only attribute back to the original read-write on Volume C?

Drive File System: NTFS
    User Account: Administrator

Besides this minor defrag issue Drive C works 100%. I also ran chkdsk and reinstalled the trial PerfectDisk as a test and it is able to defrag Volume C with no issues.

All ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated! :D

Cheers,
    Marsman

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2006
  2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I recently was using Defrag Lite V7, and I tried both O & O Defrag and Perfect Disk 7.

No problems after uninstalling any of them.

I ended up purchasing Perfect disk 7 ($11.99(USA) AFTER rebate if purchased from www.amazon.com by, as I recall the first week of April 2006.

Perfect Disk is definitely the best of the lot.
    See http://www.perfectdisk.com/products/perfectdisk2k/wp.cfm.

Is "Disk defragmenter cannot defragment this read-only volume: C" the FULL text of the message?

I suspect that Diskeeper is trying to state that drive C should be defragged "offline" because of certin structures on the drive, e.g., is there a page file on c?

In any case, buy and install Perfect Disk, it's a lot better.

3. Marsman

Hi Howard,

I liked both trial products and I would have definitely purchased PerfectDisk if this price was offered in Canada by Amazon.com but unfortunately it wasn't.

Yes, the read-only error I posted and attached earlier was the full text message.

Yes, as before there are pagefiles on Volume C however this was never a problem previously so I'm not sure why it would be now.

Yes, both products performed faster than the standard but I don't like being pushed or forced into buying another product just because one of them managed to change my Volume C read-write attribute.

Here's a quick up date on my further attempts to fix this:

1) Reinstalled the PerfectDisk and was able to analyze & defrag Volume C with no issues.
    2) Reinstalled Diskeeper and again this prog worked 100% with no issues.
    3) Uninstalled the two trial programs and tried to defrag Volume C with the standard app but still no luck.
    4) Ran a NOD32 virus scan and nothing reported.
    5) Ran chkdsk /f from the command line and got the error message above.
    6) Again tried to defrag with the default prog and again got the earlier mentioned read-only error message.
    7) Shut down all running applications i.e NOD32, BOClean etc and again tried running chkdsk but again got the same is in use by another process message.

Geez, there must be a way of changing the attributes on Volume C.:rolleyes:

Anyone have any ideas or can you perhaps point me in another direction.

Best regards,
    Marsman

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

5. Marsman

ErikAlbert,

Thanks for replying to my post. I ran the attrib -r as you suggested and I've attached the return command message.

Anyone have any ideas if this is indicates a permission block or some other possible reason for read-only on Volume C?

TIA!

Attached Files:

6. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

In the original posting, it was stated "Besides this minor defrag issue Drive C works 100%".

I would try:

1. Install Perfect Disk, do a defrag of C.
    2. Uninstall Perfect Disk.

3. Do NOT install Diskeeper.

Are things back to normal?

7. Marsman

I've been going buggy over here however I'm a happy fellow once again.

auggy & intulsa over at broadband forums pointed me in the right direction:

http://tinyurl.com/3bopl

http://tinyurl.com/ofyjt

My login indicated I had the usual administrator rights and Drive C file /folders indicated the same. However the Drive C Security tab didn't have me listed as a user. What caused my Drive C user name and profile to completely vanish? Thinking back, I now believe it was the sys crash three days ago installing /uninstalling Winamp visualization plugins.

Anyways I recreated my user name and permissions profile and I was good to go!:)

Thanks for everyone's help here!

P.S. Sorry my file is too large to post here but it can be seen over here:
    http://tinyurl.com/juyqc

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.