Changing motherboards

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by salty, Dec 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salty

salty Registered Member

I have a new mb on order,ive been told it has a different chipset to my old mb and that I will have to re-install windows xp.I have got Acronis true image,is there any quicker way of doing this task and saving all my data.

2. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

Just follow this link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

I've used "Method 2" and it worked fine. Couple of things:

1)You will need to reinstall service packs and windows updates after the repair is complete, unless your XP CD has SP2 already.

2) If you use outlook express, backup email and address books before hand, cause they are lost during the repair

3) Don't connect your internet connection until you have either a hardware or software firewall running. Otherwise you will get a bug.

This did a great job for me when I upgraded mobo's. All settings and data, along with program files, etc remained intact, except as I mention above. However definitely back up your data first using TI or whatever, cause nothing is foolproof....

A fresh clean install is preferable, but like I said, the above has worked fine for me in the past.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, salty

A fresh full insall is best as jimmytop says but here the repair:- Re: Pulling My Hair Out

PS: that is a copy of a old post of mine I copy over for foxy11, so read SP2 in the place of SP1.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.