changing motherboards

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by miclark, Apr 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miclark

miclark Registered Member

I want to swap out motherboards and need to back-up the contents of 2 SATA drives running in a RAID0 configuration. I also may need to change the cluster size for the new array.

I'm not sure what type of backup I need to select; a) Acronis True Image Home backup, b) partition image or c) disk image. I realize I need to do a full system backup, but does it need to be stored in a "Secure Zone"?

I'm assuming that I can create a bootable rescue disk that will prompt me for the location of my backup files once I boot and that the drives will be identified by the system prior to running restore.

Thanks for any help.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

All three backups you listed are the same type, images. You want to select the entire drive. The Raid 0 array will appear as one drive.

There's quite a bit of information that you didn't provide.

1. Will the new motherboard be identical to the old one? Your installation of the operating system has the drivers for the old motherboard. If you install a new one that is different, you will need to install the proper dirvers for all the new hardware. That usually requires running a Windows "upgrade in place" (Google that phrase) to replace the hardware abstraction layer, HAL, with one for the new board.

To run an upgrade in place requires a Windows installation CD and not just an OEM recovery CD.

2. Will you be using the same two SATA drives in a Drive 0 array with the new motherboard? If so, the backup is to safeguard your installation, but shouldn't need to be reinstalled. If you are using new drives, you will need to restore the image after swapping drives.

3. The TI Recovery CD should identify all your drives. In some cases, it does not because there are not Linux drivers for your RAID or SATA controller. You'll find that out when you boot with the new motherboard. If it is not supported, you will need a BartsPE boot disk instead (see links elsewhere on this forum on how to create one).

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello miclark,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I would recommend that you have a look at this thread <What exactly is an "image"> to find the answer to these questions.

Please note that if you are going to transfer the system to a new motherboard the restored system could be unbootable. An attempt to transfer the system to a new hardware will usually produce the unbootable result because the new hardware is incompatible with the most critical drivers included in the image. In this case we may recommend that you use Acronis True Image in conjunction with Acronis Universal Restore. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and mass storage device drivers.

Depending on the operating system you use on the computer you might need to use deferent versions of Acronis True Image. Such as Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation is compatible with Windows Vista, Windows XP Home and Professional operating systems including Windows XP SP2, Windows 2000 Professional.

For Windows 2003 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced server, Windows 2000 Server and Windows NT 4.0 Server we may recommend that you use Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows.

Please also be aware that Acronis Universal Restore is available only for Corporate Products.

Please read more information on how to use Acronis Universal Restore in conjunction with Acronis True Image in the respective User's Guide.

Note that when Acronis True Image restores the image of the entire hard drive or partition in first deletes the destination partition and then restore the partition from the image to its place. Therefore, the filesystem and also cluster size will be the same as in the partition that stored in the image archive. None of the currently available Acronis True Image versions allows you to change 'cluster size' during the image restoration process.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.