Changing Mobo on Computer. Will TI work?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by teomi, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teomi

teomi Registered Member

Hi guys.
    Can I do a full backup of my disk (ie windows and proggys) and then upgrade to a different mobo and doa restore?

I know I would need to somehow install the mobo's drivers and such..but is it possible to do using True Image?

Thanks,

Eitan

2. MerlinAZ

MerlinAZ Registered Member

If it's the exact same motherboard/chipset, yes.
    If it's not, I wouldn't.
    The system drivers will probably get messed up.
    Some have been lucky putting their old hard drives in a new system and have gotten them to boot.
    You'll probably at least have to do a "repair" install with your Windows disk, or most likely it still won't boot.
    That's been my experience when upgrading.

3. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

If you purchased your PC with Windows preinstalled (i.e. an OEM version) then you cannot use that version of Windows with another MOBO.

If you purchased a boxed version of Windows from a retail store or over the Internet, separately from your PC, then you may use that version with another MOBO.

The following is taken from a Microsoft directive on the issue....

4. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

Here is a link that might be of assistance to you. I have not tried changing a mobo so I cannot tell you if it works. If it does work then you do not need any image programs. However, to be on the safe side, I would create an image before proceeding with the change over.

http://computervitals.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2369

If your XP is OEM, try it and see if it does work. If it doesn't then send me an email, and see if we can resolve the problem, as this forum is for TI support.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Eitan,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

If you want to transfer your operating system to a different hardware, we recommend that you prepare Windows for transferring using Microsoft System Preparation tool (Sysprep) as it is described in this FAQ Article.

However, even in case of using Sysprep we cannot guarantee the successful transferring of the operating system to a computer with the hardware configuration different from that of the original machine. The point is that Sysprep allows replacing drivers only for Plug-and-Play devices (sound cards, network adapters, video cards etc.). As for system HAL and boot device driver, they must be identical in the source and target computers (see Microsoft Knowledge Base articles 302577 and 216915).

If you want to be completely sure that the restored operating system will boot and function normally then we recommend that you use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation or Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows (depending on what operating system you use) in conjunction with Acronis Universal Restore for your purposes. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial HAL and hard disk controller drivers.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use the products mentioned above in the respective User's Guides.

We also recommend that you download and install the free trial version(s) of the product(s) you are interested in to see how the software works on your particular software\hardware configuration.

If you want to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore then please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal and provide the link to this thread in your request.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product you are interested in. Note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase. In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.