changing internet security suggestions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hugsy, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

Hi. I am considering to uninstall kaspersky internet security 7 and replace it with some freeware security suite. I was thinking of comodo. Please leave some suggestions. I am looking for apps that are freeware!

Thank you.

2. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

CIS has a very good fw and one of the best classical HIPS. Not so sure for the av and the sandbox. I would install CIS and disable av and sandbox: you can use Avira free and a power sw as GesWall, Sanboxie or DefenseWall.

3. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

As a complete package CIS is very good. The eventual antivirus weakness is fully worked away by the other portions of the suite.

4. southcat

southcat Registered Member

CIS is a good security suite for advanced user because it will interact with user a lot, and i am also not fancy the antivirus integrated in CIS.

I will recommend the combo listed below, if you really want to use CIS.

Firewall + HIPS : CIS(disabled Antivirus, Sandbox)
    AntiVirus: Avast!
    AntiSpyware - MBAM (On demand)
    Virtualization: Sandboxie.

BTW, which windows are you using ? XP, Vista or W7. Because it might have different configuration.

Regards
    southcat

5. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

Comodo is a first option that came to my mind, more suggestions the better :) My OS is XP. Free AV is the biggest hussle; because there are big 3 freeware that have realtime protection, but everyone has a different opinion on them.

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

OA free/CIS/ Outpost free, geswall free/sandbox and panda cloud free/avast free/avira free. You can then add MBAM and Emsisoft for on demand scans.

7. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

You really can't go wrong with picking one from each catagory. The only thing is finding the right combo that works on your system. Everyone is different and almost no one can agree on just one program. It takes a little effort to find what works and what doens't. Some people still haven't found it.

8. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

For an advanced user it is true...:thumb:

9. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

You also ask for a suite free...There is also Online Armor free, very good fw/HIPS but, if I remember right, not so configurable as CIS. OSSS - there is a thread here - is not free and also in Beta, but already a good product in development to remember for the future. Free is Malware Defender too, but I couldn't understand how it is effectively available now.

As av I say again: Avira.

10. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Other that Comodo, only free security suite is Fortinet end-point security standard. But I doubt how good is that.

11. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Well i do not remember if it was good, but i do remember that when i tried it for a while(I think about a week or 2.) It only updated the virus and Spyware database once or so.

That made it a big no to me. Updating once a day i do not mind but only once or twice in about 2 weeks...NO WAY.

12. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I heard they have improved. Don't know how much. I have to give it a try soon.

13. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Keep us informed about the results then, if you try it out. :)

14. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.