Changing hd

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Kass45, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kass45

Kass45 Registered Member

I have a small drive with the operating system, windows xp home sp2. It is beginning to run real slow. It has 29.7 gb used and only 7.46 free. I have a second drive, not partitioned, that has 59.8 gb used and 54.5 gb of free space. I want to transfer the contents of c to a larger new hd. How can I do that? Or can I do that?
    Thanks in advance

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

When you say, "to a larger new drive" do you mean the larger one you have or a larger new one?
    If it is a larger new one, yes, you can simply use the Clone feature of True Image to clone your old drive to the new one.
    If you meant the larger one you have, it depends on what comprises that 59.8Gb of used space. If it is made up of data files only, i.e. not Widows or installed applications, you will have to copy that data to a temporary place on another drive, then Clone the drive. Afterwards, you can copy back the 59.8Gb of files.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Kass45,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that the cloning operation only works with entire drives. So, as DwnNdrty pointed, if you want to save the data from the drive you are cloning to, you will need to copy it to some other storage device before cloning.

Another way to achieve the result is to create an image of the source drive, resize the destination drive partition to free enough space (using some partitioning tool, for example Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0), and then restore the image (as a partition, not the whole drive) to the resulting free space.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. Kass45

Kass45 Registered Member

Thank you, I want to clone the os and all files to a NEW larger drive (that I have yet to install). I read that if you do that you have to do something called a repair install of xp or it won't recognize the registry settings. Is that right.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Kass45,

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that usually the repair isn't needed if the new drive is the same type as old one (both IDE, or both SATA, etc.). You can find detailed instructions on performing a clone operation in chapter "Transferring the system to a new disk" of the respective version of Acronis True Image User's Guide.

Please also have a look at this article describing possible complications of moving a system and ways to avoid/resolve them.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.