CHANGING HARD DRIVE ON A LAPTOP WITH BACKUP IMAGE OF PARTITION

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ericb777, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ericb777

ericb777 Registered Member

Hello,

The hard drive of my laptop will die soon (that's what says the SMART feature), so i've made a backup image (TI 10) of the "C" partition (containing operating system (XP) and data), this image fits on 2 DVD's. I also have the Acronis Bootable Media/ CD.

Before replacing my defective IDE hard drive by another IDE hard drive (but not the same manufacturer), i wanted to know if when the new hard drive will be installed / formated / partitioned, i will be able to restore the old image partition by just booting on Acronis CD then selecting the Restore option, then selecting the .tib file on the DVD's.
    Will it be ok or will there be a problem due to the fact it's not really the same hard drive?
    (Clone disk feature is not possible as only one internal HDD can be installed in the laptop.)

Thanks for your help,
    Eric

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Eric:

Yes, just install the new, blank hard disk in the laptop and restore the partition with TI. The destination disk does not need to be formatted.

3. ericb777

ericb777 Registered Member

Good news, thank you! :)

4. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

you might want to think about getting a usb ide/sata bridge adapter , they cost about $20.00 it's a adapter where you can plug a hard drive and it will act like an external drive.

This way you can consider doing a reverse clone (remove your internal bad drive plug it into the usb adapter and install the new hard drive inside the computer). A reverse clone is highly recommended by everybody for restoring laptops.

Using DVD's to restore can be problematic, I would recommend you do a "disc quality test" on your burnt dvd media. You need to get at least 90 percent on quality to rely on them. If you are using verbatims or sony dvd's, those are highly reliable for backup purposes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.