changing a harddrive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Long View, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I just changed a hard drive from a 75 gig IDE to a 300 gig SATA (installed thru a pci card).
    I thought the best/easiest way was to use Clone ?
    After about 20 minutes I disconnected my old IDE and booted from the SATA.
    So far everything is fine - much faster - but 2 programs have required reactivation: (1) Nuance Paperport 11 and (2) Office 2003. Office was no problem - when I tried to run word I simple had to click on activate on line. Paperport, however, would not load. First I had to go back to the old drive an uninstall the program to get an activation back. Then I had to clone again and finally install Paperport and activate again.

As I have another old PC I would like to replace the IDA with SATA is there a better way ? would Universal restore be better ? i.e no messing around with reactivation.

2. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

best to get updated hardware as it makes no since to put SATA on a PCI bus, where does the support for acronis end, i mean is it supposed to support all that has been built since the beginning of computers to date, get real. acronis works!

3. Long View

Long View Registered Member

It makes a great deal of sense to put a 300 gig sata drive on a pci.
    (1) I have a couple of spare SATA drives.
    (2) They work faster than the old 75 gig ide drives they will replace.
    (3) I already have updated hardware - it just makes sense to keep old machines running to do the jobs they are capable of doing.

I have no problem with Acronis. The question was which was the best way.
    I had hope that clone would work - its an activation problem here not an acronis problem.

I will try universal restore next but eventually install a fresh system and then make images. I was simply interested in seeing how well Acronis could cope with somthing a liitle more comlex than daily image making and restoring.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Long View,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and mass storage device drivers. Acronis Universal Restore is applicable for:

- Instant recovery of a failed system on different hardware

- Hardware-independent cloning and deployment of operating systems

- Real-to-virtual and virtual-to-real computer migration for system recovery, test and other purposes

You can find the detailed information on how to use Acronis Universal Restore in conjunction with the corporate versions of Acronis True Image in the respective User's Guides.

Please also note that probably the activation information of the software you have mentioned depends on particular sectors on the hard drive. Acronis True Image back ups only the sectors with actual data in this way decreasing the size of the resulting image archive. After the image is restored files are not placed to the exact same sectors they were residing originally which may "confuses" some software and reactivations is needed.

As for transferring your operating system from IDE to SATA hard drives, please also take a look at this article.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.