Changed to Broadband

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by tutankamon, Aug 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tutankamon

tutankamon Registered Member

HI everyone,
    I have just changed over from ntl dialup connection to ntl Broadband 150k analogue cable modem connection. I am running on ME, IE6, Zone Alarm, AVG 6 anti virus, spy ware blaster, spybot S&D, and of course TDS3, any have any tips on what to aviod how to set up, etc, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

In my opinion there is no real difference between dial-up and permanent connection. However, if you are not running any servers you might close your connection while not using Internet

If you have signed up for the private forum from DiamondCS you might like to load a script in TDS to have some fun:

http://diamondcs.com.au/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=15547#post15547

Dolf

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Though opinions vary, I agree with Dolf that there really isn't a big difference between dialup and broadband from a security standpoint. Yes, most people who want to exploit your system for there own uses usually prefer broadband systems more than dialup, but, until they test your system they may not know what connection speed you have.

Probes go out to all kinds of systems that are on the Internet. A dialup system with exploitable services or open shares will get taken over or infected just like broadband attached systems.

So, the best advice is to run no servers at all (web servers, ftp, file sharing utilities, etc.) If you don't need these things, then don't use them. You'll stay a lot safer that way.

In ZA, don't grant any programs server rights, and keep the security slider in the Firewall panel at High for the Internet Zone. In this way you are blocking all unsolicited connection attempts and presenting no exploitable processes to the net. (And, if you really aren't running any servers, go into the Firewall panel > Advanced button > check the "Block Internet Zone servers" box. This overrides individual permissions granted for server rights.)

4. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

Hmm, you can tell a lot just from a DNS name....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.