Change sector size when cloning disk?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by noxt, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noxt

noxt Guest

I've just been successful in cloning a 3 partition, 160gig, raid 0 array (one of the partitions was the boot partition) onto a 160gig IDE disk and I am able to boot from the new disk. (Windows XP pro SP1.) However, the raid array had 512 byte sectors, so I formatted the new disk with the same size sectors -- figuring that a "clone" should have the same size sectors. Both the raid array and new disk are NTFS. I am wondering if I can redo this using a larger sector size on the new disk. And, if so, how? If I format the disk with a larger sector size, will True Image accept that or will it reformat the new disk to 512bytes? (I think the disk would operate more quickly with a larger sector size.)

Noxt

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, noxt

I think you are mixing sector size with cluster size.

When you set up Raid0 you have a choice to what you set the strip block at. [block, clunk, the name is not ways the same]

If you set the strip block say 16k then you should set your cluster size on your file system at 16k.

The default cluster size used by Windows NTFS is 4k. the max you can set it at is 64k.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. noxt

noxt Guest

Thanks for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.