Change in hosts file detected

Discussion in 'FileChecker & ID-Blaster Forum' started by Metallica, Nov 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metallica

Metallica Guest

Hi guys & girls,

I have a few questions. Do not worry, they are about one subject ;)
    I use File checker and one of the files on the watch list is my hosts file. Sometimes after I close down Diet Kazaa I get this warning from File checker. (see attachment)
    My questions.
    1 Is this something to worry about or is it normal?
    2 Is there some way to find out what exactly has changed. My hosts file has the size of an average oiltanker :D
    3 If it is something to worry about, how can I prevent this?

Thnx in advance

Attached Files:

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Welcome to the Wilders forums. :)

From the looks of DietKazaa, it is probably adding various Kazaa-specific entries to your hosts file (or saving it, or something of the sort) to prevent ads from appearing in Kazaa.

Faulty programming (in DietKazaa) *could* mean that it checks to see if certain entries are in your hosts file, and whether or not it makes any changes/additions to your hosts file it saves the file (hence the modified date change). It doesn't sound to me like this is any malicious issue.

As for the answers to your 2nd and 3rd questions - probably nothing was changed or the file size alarm would have gone off (and the only good way to find out exactly what would be to compare a backup of the file to the new version using a separate program) and I don't think this is anything to worry about. The only way to prevent it would probably be to stop using DietKazaa, or to remove the hosts file from FileChecker (not recommended).

Regards,

-Javacool

3. Metallica

Metallica Guest

Thnx for answering my questions personally Javacool (I love your programs).

Is there a program you would recommend to do this check. I am very curious about what exactly has been changed.

Thnx in advance

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Metallica,

Gotta love that nickname you picked :D

What program did you use to make your Hosts file?
    I´m asking because both Hostess and Fastnet99 offer options for making backups. I you´re really worried about these changes you could always reinstate the backups.

Regards and rock on indeed,

Pieter

5. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hello,

I warmly recommand Total Commander (formerly Windows Commander)
    and not only for this option.

http://www.ghisler.com/ (shareware)

Rgds,

6. Metallica

Metallica Guest

Thnx JacK and Pieter,

I found the option in FastNet99 to make a copy and I downed Total Commander. (nice proggie)
    When the next warning arises I will compare the files and keep you informed.

Best wishes,

7. Metallica

Metallica Guest

Well, that was fast. Nothing to worry about, I guess.
    Thnx for helping to reassure me :cool:

See you later,

Attached Files:

8. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Well, it certainly does seem that just the modification date is being changed - so I believe the possible scenario I outlined in my first post in this thread is what is occuring.

I don't know what version of DietKazaa you are using, or if a newer version is available, but the newer version might eliminate that issue in the coding. :)

Regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.