Champion Browsers! <help to update>

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Category: Champion (considering latest public build)
    Comments

Compatibility: Microsoft Internet Explorer
    Sites usually don't break on the world's most used browser.

Customization: Mozilla Firefox
    Firefox has reviewed extensions for near everything + XUL interface.

Developer Tools: Microsoft Internet Explorer
    IE has the most comprehensive set of developer tools out-of-the-box.

Ease of Use: Google Chrome
    Chrome has a very intuitive minimal design.

Manageability: Microsoft Internet Explorer
    IE provides the best guidance and enterprise tools.

Performance: Opera
    Opera 10.50 is the fastest browser on Earth.

Privacy: Mozilla Firefox
    Firefox got unrecoverable private browsing out-of-the-box, temporarily storing information in memory (not in disk), when in this mode.

Reliability: Microsoft Internet Explorer
    IE has tab isolation and crash recovery features combined.

Security: Microsoft Internet Explorer
    IE has more security features (when running on recent x64 Windows) than any other browser.

Web Standards: Opera
    Opera combines extensive support for both approved and emerging W3C standards.

Inspired on this page.

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Come on, SirPeter, that website was yapped about the middle of last year. We all know it's marketing. And as far as this thread, all it's going to do is, for the billionth time, bring out the fanboys and girls, link speed tests that don't make a bit of difference, and start up security arguments that inevitably lead to the pro-LUA/SRP vs against LUA/SRP and irrelevant to the topic security program touting. In other words, it's been done before, and far too many times.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

How many here find their "champion" changes every so often?

Well, maybe Wilders folks change things a lot. But I wonder how many average users even play with all the available browsers to find out which ones they like (or is the fastest for thier use). And I wonder how many of them try anything else once they make thier choise.

For me, I try newer versions out, and sometimes switch around. I tried Opera 10.10, and decided to go back to it over Kmeleon for most of my daily browsing. Chrome is not bad either, but I like a little more that in gives.

Sul.

4. guest

guest Guest

I try and review near every major beta/stable release of the most used browsers. For daily browsing, I use Firefox.

5. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

LOL. How do you put IE ahead of Chrome and Firefox when it comes to development tools? IE is closed-source. How is that more friendly than browsers that provide the full source code?

6. guest

guest Guest

Well, having the browser's source code doesn't really help when you are simply trying to build a compatible webpage.

7. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

IE is the champion of security? Yeah....keep telling yourself that....:rolleyes:

8. guest

guest Guest

@Watasha

In the security aspect, IE can be considered the champion because its latest version has more security features than any other browser, when running at x64 Windows. These security features help to mitigate and close attack vectors.

As for security bugs (vulnerabilities): all browsers have vulnerabilities with different rates of criticality that are always being finded and fixed.

9. Watasha

I respectfully disagree. You can pile on all of the "security features" known to man but you are still the most targeted browser by far, your company is notorious for resting on it's laurels and ignoring serious security concerns for YEARS ( I could go on...), not to mention the fact that when people rate browsers they seem to only think 4 exist. Now I'm reasonable enough to realize you aren't gonna see a test with 15-20 browsers, but to call IE the most secure because of a long list of "features" doesn't quite cut the muster for me.

10. guest

guest Guest

That makes latest versions of IE even more secure over time, while other browsers don't pass over the same scrutiny.

In the past that could be true. Latest versions of Microsoft software are being developed under the new Trustworthy Computing initiative, with Security Development Lifecycle being implemented for all existing code (old and new), with the underlying ethos of "Secure by design, secure by default, secure in deployment".

Overall, it can be considered the most secure.

11. Watasha

1. Why didn't it make them the most secure 7, 5, 3 years ago? They were even more popular then and IE was a security NIGHTMARE.

2. So I'm supposed to forget about YEARS of Microsoft BS and security ignorance, YEARS of a flippant attitude towards customers and users and lazy updates and almost non-existent progress all of a sudden?

I enjoy the discussion but I'm not convinced.;)

12. guest

guest Guest

1. That kind of development takes additional time, the important thing is that today we aren't living on that nightmare anymore;

2. No, but you may accept the fact that Microsoft learned the lesson and currently develops the probably most secure web browser overall.

13. Watasha

You're right, thankfully we aren't living in that nightmare, this change incidentally had absolutely nothing to do with Microsoft and everything to do with Mozilla (among others). MS sits back and waits on someone else to MAKE them improve something. Thank God for these other companies, otherwise we would still be at the whim of MS and their lazy, nonchalant attitude. You are right, Microsoft has (begrudgingly) gotten better thanks to everybody BUT Microsoft.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.