Challenge to Symantec from Comodo CEO!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by guest, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

You dont need to answer nothing in when the sandbox notificaton appears.
    Clean/ignore? this is a standar alert of almost any AV. Ok norton does it automatically and here the problems with the FP's comes.

Please dont lie nothing goes through, the system remains clean after restart.

Anyway the video has been made with virtualbox, has been reported that virualbox does not work properly with many security software like Comodo, Karspersky, OnlineArmor and other due to the limitations of virutal box, you can use google.

https://forums.comodo.com/beta-corn...rc-released-t60637.0.html;msg425567#msg425567
    So the video is totally useless.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2010
  2. begemot64

begemot64 Registered Member

Here are my thoughts on the challenge, which I have posted in the Comodo forums:

Melih:

"all are glorified "detection' methods..

so the question still stands...

do you think NIS can detect (using everything they have) 100% of the malware?

Melih
    "

Why are you so worried about that question?

As a CEO of a business, you should be worried about market penetration, and as a direct consequence, whether your product can be deployed on a large and varied assortment of systems, both consumer and medium/large businesses.

Do you have the neccessary support infrastructure?
    Do you have the neccessary centralised management system?
    Do you have the business connections that will enable you to obtain large scale contracts?
    Is your product useable for businesses (given that they have very different requirements to consumers)?
    Is your product useable for consumers (and useable from their point of view, not yours)?
    Do you have the neccessary revenue stream for advertising?
    Are your planned expanison levels sustainable?
    Is your forum professional when dealing with problems that end users experience?

If the answer to any of these questions is no, then unfortunately you will not be able to successfully penetrate the security market (by successfully I mean competing with the likes of Symantec and Kaspersky). Whether or not NIS has 100% detection level is irrelevant. You could have 100% protection, and you still won't be able to compete with them if you can't solve the above questions.

NIS at the minute is more user friendly, comparable in protection, has better removal, and is one of the top sold security products. Underestimating the leading competition is very dangerous. 

Now I have a strong suspicion that 5 years down the line, things will still be the same - ie Symatec will still be one of the biggest security companies with one of the most sold products, and Comodo will still be used by a minority share of enthusiasts without gaining significant market share. Now if this does not happen, I will be one of the first to happily eat my words, and heartily congratulate Comodo on their fantastic achievments, plus admit that my judgement is lousy, and appologise to everyone for doubting Comodo.

But time will tell.

3. guest

guest Guest

begemot64

The challenge is part of the advertising.

4. begemot64

begemot64 Registered Member

Of course. One which Symantec will contently ignore - without addressing the points in my post, this kind of advertising will have limited impact.

5. guest

guest Guest

Well a few years ago Comodo was a very specific security software not very used, now according to Melih Comodo has more than 40 million of users. So probably he is addressing most of the points, but it's good to remember him where he should focus his efforts.

6. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

It's just another marketing ploy.

7. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Comodo wins the test. Norton wins the next test.

Does it change your life whatsoever? ;)

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Marketing is "The Art of Deception"...:D

9. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Downloads or users? I am skeptical of this number. For instance I have probably downloaded CIS 50x over the years, but I currently only have it on one computer.

10. Clench Tightly

Clench Tightly Registered Member

Up front - I use CIS5 at home and have both CIS and NIS at work (on different LAN trees). Both are really, really good pieces of software. They are different, but both are good.

I'd like to see Comodo and Symantec agree on an independant testing organisation to conduct a series of tests;

1. CIS V NIS
    2. NIS V best-of-breed-free-AV + best-of-breed-free-HIPS + best-of-breed-free-firewall + best-of-breed-free-behaviour blocker + best-of-breed-free-sandbox (if there is a good free one, that is)

These two tests would, IMHO, directly address the statements made in Davids blog post, rather than being a Comodo V Norton piddling match.

Cheers,
    CT :)

P.S. Here's a serious question I've never been able to get a straight answer out of any AV vendor - If AV products are getting better and better each and every year, how come the problem keeps getting worse?

11. guest

guest Guest

I think they know how to measure their active users, when you install Comodo, comodo registers your computer. Unless for format your computer the registration is the same, at least I read that in the forums.
    How many different registrations update their virus databases during a week could be a good aproach.

12. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I have read that, but do they track user uninstalls?

13. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Am I reading you correctly? You, a Comodo user, a product which has been literally designed to produce FP hell, are trying to defend your product of choice against Norton, one of the products which has consistently produced among the lowest FP rates in independent tests, by raising the issue of false positives?

Oh dear, I'm afraid the irony is killing me... :argh:

Gee, Zyrtec, nice to see you continuing YOUR crusade as well, about a piece of software you've admittedly never even used before, no less. Welcome to the club. ;)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  14. guest

guest Guest

I'm using Comodo and I haven had any FP, continue lying, continue ignoring how Comodo works (you are talking about a product that you have never use, what normal person would do that?), continue ignoring what a FP means, continue ignoring the questions that you dont know how to answer, continue ignoring the questions that you dont like to answer, is quite funny to read a troll like you. :D

15. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

It is only so much it can be said on the subject, good and bad and without repeating it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.