Challenge to Symantec from Comodo CEO!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by guest, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

20+ min? how many games do you have? 40?
    Of course I understand that some people doesnt like the sandbox, for the games could be a bit annoying, they started to add games to the whitelist recently, but is not one of their priorities. Some people propose a deal with xfire or similars so they can easily identify almost any game on the market.

2. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I saw you posted recently on CISs forum that Itunes is not trusted. Friggin Itune!!!!! One of the most popular programs in the world. It goes to illustrate the issues CIS will have. Everytime these programs update, it takes them time to manually update their whitelist.

3. guest

guest Guest

Is not itunes is just quick time and was with the updater (apple software update) included by apple.

The software was not sandboxed but I received a popup asking me (after download everything with apple updater) if I trusted in this installer or something similar, I dont know why the installer was not signed. Apple is in the local whitelist of Comodo.

In fact if you donwload Itunes from their website you will install itunes, quicktime,... without a single popup. And then you can execute quicktime and itunes without a single popup.

I dont think that they need to update everything when the software is updated.

And about losing 30 sec to make trusted a game I really prefer this, than pay for any AV suite, yes is annoying but nothing is perfect. We lose much more time here in the forums :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2010
  4. clocks

clocks Registered Member

My point is made. It is annoying. That is all I wanted to get across. Default deny HIPs provides great protection, but it is annoying to use.

If you want awesome protection, and don't mind having to submit programs, deal with popups, etc.. CIS is a great choice for you. But I think there are other program that protect just as well, and work without the annoyances of HIPs.

5. guest

guest Guest

Sorry but I havent seen any popup from the HIPS (D+) since I installed CIS 5 the same day when it was release.

The only problem now is when an app is unknown (I have more than 30 programs installed and only 4 were unknown) runs automatically in the sandbox. You can click on "do not isolate again" close the program and open it again, thats all.

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

A really poor performance if you ask me.

7. guest

guest Guest

8. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I agree. Unfortunately in my case, over 50% of my programs were impaired by CIS in some shape or form.

9. guest

guest Guest

Not for a discussion since we already have explained our points of view but if you still continue with CIS you maybe want to read this before the next fresh install.
    http://forums.comodo.com/install-se...ation-the-hasslefree-way-cis-5x-t61645.0.html

Dont tell me that this is annoying, I know that, but will make you save time, the next time if you use CIS.

10. Eice

Eice Registered Member

11. guest

guest Guest

Of course. :D the next time I will use "perhaps" and not "sure", or maybe "almost" before "sure".

12. m0unds

m0unds Guest

oof. that's probably more work than most users are interested in doing to protect their computer. people generally want something that they can install and forget about...which is likely why so many products have fully automated protection and simplified user interfaces now-a-days.

13. guest

guest Guest

So, if they dont like to do this they just have to press in do not isolate again when an app that you use is being isolate. Or simply do not use Comodo. When somebody spends 60$/year in an AV if they get and infection is a problem much more complicated to solve than this.
    Maybe Comodo is not designed for every single user in the world (I still dont know why we are discussing this) just for people that want to be protected for free and are open to spend 10 minutes of their lives learning how is the sandboxing process.
    All this isolating popups just appear the first time, that means that after install Comodo you can get this popups the first 2 or 3 days and only with some apps (in my case very few), then you can forget that Comodo is there.

An Internet security suite costs 60$ more or less that means 3 or 4 hours of work for many people, in some contries could be 6 or 7 hours, or the full week. If somebody spends 4 hours reading about Comodo he will be a master :) and he wont need to spend this time again every year.

And this is not just about Comodo, asking in this forum a free setup for a noob user could take 5 minutes and they can get as an answer:

Avast/MSE
    Prevx SOL
    Immunet

On demand: Avira Free, MBAM Free.

Just with this they will be more than protected.

14. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

People don't usually get infected with good paid products. There are also free products giving good protection without any pop-ups, like the ones you posted above (and I don't agree with Symantec's saying about free security products).
    What should we discuss then? It's part of the discussion of Melih's challenge.
    Except when updating applications, some applications have updaters that aren't digitally signed. For those I'd much rather have a pop-up with a simple "Make trusted" option than them getting automatically sandboxed.

15. m0unds

m0unds Guest

it's a valid part of the discussion because the interactivity required by a product is just as big a factor in protection of a user's machine as the product's detection rate.

users click on things to get them out of their way. most users won't give a second thought to clicking okay or yes to a prompt that pops up. that's part of why there's such a market for security software. a product that is capable of automating nearly everything from the get-go, making decisions for a user, sort of takes that factor out of the loop for the most part. that isn't to say a user can't still get infected, but it mostly removes a user from the decision-making process which is often a Good Thing (tm) when it comes to computer security.

16. Eice

Eice Registered Member

So, if everyone knew which files are safe to run and which aren't... why do they need Comodo in the first place?

17. guest

guest Guest

This is automatic without sandbox and free:

Avast/MSE
    Prevx SOL
    Immunet

On demand: Avira Free, MBAM Free.

Symantec is saying that this will not protect you only Norton.

18. guest

guest Guest

Maybe I forget to say that they should do it when they know that the file is safe. What happens if you are not sure, run it in the sandbox until you are sure.

Do you remember that Comodo also have an AV? or you can install COmodo without the AV and use another.
    Most of the programs works fine inside the sandbox, you can sandbox any browser, just like sandboxie but without complications.
    If you are not sure you can run the app in the sandbox and use it until you are sure. How are you sure? sending the file to VT.
    If CCleaner were unsigned how do you know that is safe?

As I said the AV's have fp's and they create problems more complicated than all this for the people and they survive, the same when they get an infection.

All this is too complicated for you or for other users, so you/they are free to pick any other software.

19. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Thanks, but I will probably not try CIS again until they make some improvements. It is a great program for some(especially for a freebie), but I just am sick of dealing with it at the moment. While I agree that it will protect the user as well as Norton, it's just too intrusive for my tastes.

20. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

indeed:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

21. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Different strokes for different folks. I think CIS is on the verge, but it is just not quite there yet. And unfortunately Comodo is content with it usability as is.

22. guest

guest Guest

Melih thinks that Comodo is ready for an average user and will protect them as good as norton or better and all this for free. IMO this is quite right. But of course if the average user prefers a software without any popup Norton is his choice. Or like I said use another Free combo and be protected for free.

But I really dont care how Melih spend his time, the important thing IMO is what Symatec said, and how they treat the AV industry : http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/sep/18/protect-your-computer-free

I'm more annoying of talking about Comodo than of its popups :D

23. m0unds

m0unds Guest

yes, i understand what the symantec dude is implying. he says free av isn't enough. in the context of the article, i'm pretty certain he means a *single* free av product. in lots of cases, this is true- it's not enough. generally, a layered approach is better. however, in the case of CIS, it's not better for everyone.

i still maintain CIS is not ready for the average user, for the reasons i've previously mentioned. if they leveraged their reputation system to make more decisions for the average user, they'd be better off. in its present state, it's not ready.

24. clocks

clocks Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

25. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

The “challenge” rings hollow.

Why doesn’t Comodo simply pay the fee to participate in the tests run by AV-Comparatives? Comodo doesn’t need Symantec’s “permission” to conduct a fair and independent comparison of the two products. (Of course, Comodo already knows this and historically has chosen not to do so.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.