Chair

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by ellison64, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ok this has nothing to do with computers but i know that there maybe some knowledgable people who frequent here that can advise.I recently bought an all in one printer scanner etc which happened to have a free leather faced massage computer chair as part of the bargain.Well i had the printer a month ago and yesterday the chair arrived.Very nice it is too , however it takes 8 "D" batteries to try the massage function in the chair.Now 8 batteries costs quite a lot of money , so i wondered if i could use a mains adaptor.I have one that outputs 3,4.5,6,9,and 12 volts and that fits the chair (the polarity is correct too +).Now not being electrically minded which voltage would i use?.Do i add the 8 x 1.5 volts up to make 12 (8 "D" batteries at 1.5 volts each),therfore should i use the 12 volt setting on the mains adaptor?Any advice appreciated.
    tia
    ellison

2. big ed

big ed Registered Member

I've done that many time w/various devices. Make sure the amps delivered @ 12v are sufficient otherwise transformer may/will overheat and burn the house down!

Play on, big ed

3. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

4. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Dang Bucky,

My first serious post in this Decade and you just had to apply the zing!!

Ellison, I guess I forgot to advise you to tape off any bare wires before using the chair. Better yet have your best buddy try it out first. Watch for any changes in facial expressions.

Go ahead!! It's only low voltage. In any event you can always make new friends!

Play on, big ed

5. dog

dog Guest

ROTF ... Now you gonna scare the cr@p outta Ellison

BTW - If cocheese [sic] comes along and mentions anything about water and/or bath tubs ... close your eyes and quickly scroll down the page ... ~This has been a Puppy Public Service Announcement~

Sorry I can't help with your problem, but to me that sounds feasible, but I ain't an electrician. :ninja: But I'd give it a try ... I've done worse. :blink:

Hopefully, someone will come along and give you a definitive technical answer.

Good Luck

Steve

6. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Hey Ellison,

Don't be deterred by all those naysayers. Big Buck and I have supplied you w/all the info and caveats needed to maybe somehow juice the chair. But like the Woofer said, you might want to wait for Cochise to jump in and give you some expert, nay totally crocked, advice.

Do it...do it, big ed

7. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi Ellison,

By now you will have realised that you have to winnow the 'Chaff' from the Wheat when you broach a question here....it's all part of lifes rich tapestry... :D :D

If your transformer is designed, as you say, to bring whatever your domestic voltage happens to be, down to 12v, then I would be inclined to assume you would have no probs........if 8Ds will do the job then I would say amperage is pretty irrelevant........

Of course always bear in mind that as long as you know what the smell of burning plastic is like!!??...... :D :D :D

Massaging Chair eh?......the luxury some people have to endure....it's criminal.

So there ya go....plug her in and if you happen to fall asleep and you ain't a 'crisp' in the morning then the idea is a winner......

Cochise, :cool:

8. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

9. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I see the peanut gallery has weighed in on this issue. ;) :D

Nothing to add.... ;)

Good luck with your new fangled chair ellison. :cool:

snowbound

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

That is a cute spoof :D ;)

11. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Just had a really worrying thought lads......being the kind, thoughtful people that we are here........IF, through some strange mishap (that couldn't possibly be accredited to us) we don't hear from Ellison again, does anyone know where to send Flowers....?

12. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Hi Ellie, (I hope you don't mind my calling you that as I feel like we are now bossom buddies)

Now that 'The Chise' has chimed in w/his 2 Quid it's safe to say that you are no longer safe. I would suggest that you keep a stick of butter handy just in case you end up extra crispy. Or you could just re-wrap the chair and send it to me. My Mother-inLaw is comming for a visit!!

You don't have to thank us for the expert advice! We're glad to obligue. You should post your home address in case we have to take up a collection for flowers.

big ed

13. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Dag-nab-it Chise,

You're too quick for me!!

Feelin small, big ed

14. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Peanut huh!! There is something about that word that really makes me crazy!!!

Play on, big ed

15. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Mmmmm!...I know what you mean ed......but it's the word 'Gallery' that does it for me.....it makes me feel so.....so......Cheap........and....and....sort of Galleried, if you know what I mean.............That Snowbound can be so hurtful and cruel.....do you think it's because it's cold were he lives and consequently things shrivel up a bit........

CoCheapchise, :cool:

16. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Thanks for all replies.So i am correct in saying that if the chair needs 8 batteries to power it at 1.5 vaults each that you simply add the voltages together? when using the powered voltage adaptor to get the correct voltage?.I guess ill try it when i have a beer in my hand just in case i need to extinguish quickly.The thought of flowers would be welcome but id rather the money be sent to the retirement home for old chair makers :)
    tia
    ellison

Ok ..ive tried it and here are the results..
    3 and 4.5 volts wont "fire up" the motors in the chair.
    5 volts seems good
    6 volts and the motors in the chair start to get a little louder and faster
    9 volts and 12 volts and the chairs nearly moving around the room by itself due to the vibration and my beers spilling.It seems 5 to 6 volt are the optimum settings.
    ellison

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  17. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

~sigh~

amongst other things. :'(

snowbound *puppy*

18. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Looooooooooool!......It was the 'Other Things' I was talking about......sorry to make fun of 'things'........it can't be very nice.....and of course, one can't be too careful were 'things' are concerned in extreme cold weather........as the Old Gardener said "Make sure you look after your Hardy Annuals in frosty weather"......... :D

19. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hey ellison, I hope your not getting toooooo much 'Pleasure' from that wobbly chair......I hope we haven't created a monster...... :eek: :rolleyes: ;) ;)

20. BeetleBoss

BeetleBoss She who posts lots of <I>Smileys</I>

21. BeetleBoss

22. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

23. BeetleBoss

[​IMG] ......[​IMG]

Now, our 8 yr old little boy wants us to go buy one!!

24. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

25. BeetleBoss

Both links worked fine for me

[​IMG]

Had to see the 2nd one thro AOL tho

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.