Central HJT Log Cleaning

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by dog, Dec 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

Hi Mike, Paul and All, ;)

I remember a while back, that there were discussions among forum owners, to try and setup a cooperative/shared location to provide HJT log cleaning ... that would be linked to all the concerned forums. The reasoning I believe, was mostly to centerlize the services of the limited qualified people, and eliminating dup postings by victims among different Security Forums, overall making the process more efficient.

My question is ... Is this still being discussed? Have those discussions begun to bear any fruits. Where does this idea stand now?

Steve - the curious puppy - :ninja: *puppy* :ninja:

LOL ... If it's done of my nosie business ... just tell me ... "Beat it dog, You're Barking up the wrong tree." :p Or this posts isn't appropriate please delete without haste. ;)

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Steve,

Hope you don't mind me moving this post to this forum ;) .

As for your question: indeed this has been discussed. Unfortunately, fairly all board owners running a HJT section didn't like this initiative for all sorts of reasons.

regards,

paul

3. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Actually, quite the opposite of what we wanted, is happening.

Qualified helpers are starting their own security boards, featuring a HijackThis forum.

Regards,

Pieter

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Quite so Pieter. Selfproclaimed 'divide and conquer' instead of uniting forces. Guess who's laughing all the way to the bank... :rolleyes:

regards,

paul

5. Pieter_Arntz

It ain't one of the hijackthis helpers, 'cause none of them is even capable of paying for their broadband with the revenues.
    Well. You know better then me, what it costs to keep a decent board running. :doubt: :ninja:

Regards,

Pieter

6. Newkid

Newkid Spyware Fighter

Steve, very straight forward answer to your question is we were lagging in terms of 'number of resources'. The number of resources we have is limited and the number of victims is quite large. We couldn’t advices all of them in the past because of the limitations.

Beside this, the complexity of log is increasing day by day and in most of the case finding the solutions is not easy as it seems.

7. dog

dog Guest

Hi Paul, Pieter, and NewKid, ;)

Thanks for the answers. ;)

That's sad to hear ... It was truely a Great Idea. Considering that malware is become more complex and sophisticated, it would've made things much easier regarding the flow of information of current fixes, plus what I originally mentioned.

I wonder if a contract (a sort of letter of expectation) had to be signed, before training commences, at the Classroom or BootCamp, would help stem the tide Pieter mentioned. A simple agreement, that as well as requiring providing help at the sites that offer those services, that one couldn't provide those services, for X number of years outside of the the group of ASAP forums.

Steve

ps. I don't mind at all Paul ;)

8. Pieter_Arntz

Don't get me wrong. I admire all the people willing to help others. Whether they do that at SWI, TC, CC or wherever they had their training or on a board they started themselves.
    But the fact remains that the same logs get posted at several boards, because it takes a while to get an answer. That results in a waste of time and resources, not to mention stressed-out helpers that see the number of unanswered logs grow by the day.
    At this moment I have 7 browser windows open so I can switch from one board to another without forgetting where the beep I left off.
    And there are about twenty more boards where I am active, but not daily.
    On some of them I have never even read anything outside the HijackThis forum.

Regards,

Pieter

9. dog

dog Guest

No worries Pieter, I didn't take you wrong. It was just a personal thought/suggestion at attempting to keep those very appreciated, but limited, voluntary resources centralize/focused.

I actually follow :ninja: a number of your threads ... you are very special ... A true Guru of HJT, and a great mentor/teacher. I miss seeing you in your Admin. Suit here, but I more than realize your talents/skills/efforts are better utilized with regards to HJT (both logs and new removal procedures) and other program developments. You do great work my friend. Thank You. ;) And thanks to all that volunteer their expertise in this regard.

~No blushing Pieter~ ... You more than deserve the accolades. ;)

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2004
  10. dog

dog Guest

I surmise one of the main reasons would be, it would make it easier for those with mal-intent to conduct/organize a DoS Attack. I should've have thought of that sooner. :doubt: ;)

Steve

11. Newkid

Newkid Spyware Fighter

Very True Pieter... This is a hard fact. Victims have tendency to post the logs in all the good forums. I had seen this almost daily.More then 60% of logs gets posted at SWI, CC, TC, NI are same. But, we are biased. We can't stop it..

NO doubt about it, Steve.. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.