CentOS + Samba vs Windows Home Server

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by CyberWorm, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CyberWorm

CyberWorm Registered Member

In the office I have a CentOS 5 server running Samba as a primary domain controller. For some reason the login process on the endpoint takes about 60 seconds from entering the username and password to the desktop actually loading up. I'm not sure why this is but I need to improve it. I also could do with adding some offsite backup but the server is restricted from accessing the internet so it doesn't get hacked. I am considering replacing the CentOS server with a Windows Home Server. The Microsoft website doesn't really have that much information on WHS so I'm in need of some help.

My understanding is that the WHS can have a shared drive that all users can access. Is it possible to setup more than one shared folder and setup access restrictions for different users?

I think I am right in saying that the WHS does not act as a primary domain controller so the users would have to authenticate on their own machines.

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hello,

I'm using WHS and also a WHS virtual machine. The ready made system runs extremely lite and is a very nice solution, but it is a 'home' system -

Yes you are correct WHS does not act as a domain controller, nor Active Directory.

Have you looked at NAS. I built one using free software and it performs great. It was a nice project to undertake.

3. CyberWorm

I wonder why its taking so long to load up after logging in?
    Even before any software was installed it took ages.

One thing I would like to know is should the user's files be updating to the server in real-time (as they do now), or should they only synchronise once the user logs off?

Out of curiosity what happens if the PDC fails completely. Can the users not login to the endpoints or will be use local profiles?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  4. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

If you are disconnected from the network or the PDC is offline you can still login locally usually using cached domain info. I find after a few weeks of offline i always get issues with password sync . But upto 1 week no problems. Dont be tempted to remove you machine from the domain unless you are sure you have local admin rights.

5. CyberWorm

Yes I do :p

Is it worth going for the WHS over the CentOS / Samba do you think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.