CentOS 7 doesn't mount dvd player

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by accessgranted, Nov 29, 2015.

1. accessgranted

accessgranted Registered Member

Hi, I'm running a multi-boot system comprising three Ubuntu flavors or related (Precise, Wily, +Mint Rafaela), alongside latest Fedora, openSuse, Manjaro, Antergos, PuppySlack and CentOS.

CentOS 7 reads any kind of multimedia (usb, HD) without problem, Nvidia installed, codecs, and so on. Nux repos are loaded and up-to-date.

But then I inserted a DVD and noticed it didn't start in VLC. I manually searched for it, and noticed that CentOS does not even "see" the DVD. The DVD runs well and is adequately loaded by the system on all of the other distros from the same machine, included Fedora. Just seems my CentOS can't see any dvd player, whether internal or external (usb), while all the others can.

Any clue to point me in the right direction?

Thanks

2. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

There is info here that may be of help. You'll need to know the dvd device name which should be either dvd or sr0. Then you'll probably have to edit FSTAB if you want the dvd to always mount.

3. accessgranted

Hi, I'll check that ASAP. Meanwhile, I tried Handbrake which, as soon as it starts, activates the dvd player and allows me to point the dvd as source before ripping it without any trouble. Gnome's Videos and VLC don't see the player.

4. accessgranted

ls /dev -l | grep dvd returns... blank. Nothing.

5. accessgranted

VLC logs:
    [00007f4a9cc4ab48] avcodec decoder: Using NVIDIA VDPAU Driver Shared Library 340.93 Wed Aug 19 16:27:32 PDT 2015 for hardware decoding.
    [0000000000b36978] core playlist: stopping playback
    [00007f4a98000958] core input error: open of `dvd:///mnt/DVD/video_ts/' failed
    [00007f4a8800c398] filesystem access error: read error: Input/output error

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

How are you opening the DVD in VLC ?
    Rather than mounting you should be able to open the DVD device directly from the open media menu option in VLC, it will be something like /dev/dvd

Cheers, Nick

7. accessgranted

Hi, I target it from its path, which is either dvd:///dev/sr0 or dvd:///dev/sr1 depending upon the dvdHardware I'm trying to read dvd's on. No reaction except for error message as stated above.
    It must be a driver matter. On top of Handbrake working pretty fine with the same hardware, cd audios are detected automatically by system and by VLC. Strange, I thought I had all pertinent repos enabled and codecs installed. Can't seem to find which one I'm missing...
    But then, if I try and read an .iso file of the same dvd, VLC accesses it without any problem.

Beats me. For the time being.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  8. accessgranted

For anyone who may be interested, I just contacted Nux who replies that "I am aware of the problem, this happens because libdvdread in CentOS 7 currently is too old/incompatible". No quick fix for the time being, so I'll stop pulling my hair out and keep going with my Linux adventures. Will be back in CentOS sometime soon, as this distro's amazing stability just keeps impressing me.

Going to play further with another recent top favorite of mine, Arch-based Manjaro that I highly recommend to Linux explorers.

Cheers

9. accessgranted

OK, Nux just recompiled the libdvdread component and VLC also. Not available in repos yet because further testing is needed, but works great on my machine :) Thumbs up for Nux!
    Screenshot from 2015-12-03 13:24:52.png Screenshot from 2015-12-03 12:27:45.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  10. accessgranted

Further testing reveals that the new recompiled VLC is sufficient to solve the problem. Nux is gonna add it to the repos.
    sudo yum update will suffice to install the new version.
    Clearly, CentOS wouldn't be of much use on the desktop were it not for Nux's work.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.