CentOS 5.5 repos. question.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Have just finished updating my CentOS 5.4 to 5.5. Very smooth and sans problems.
    Question:-
    In /etc/yum.repos.d in addition to the original CentOS-Base.repo and rpmforge.repo there are also those two files but with .rpmnew appended.
    I believe that those designated rpmnew are only there because the original config files were changed, for example due to having added priorities, which I did. When running sdiff CentOS-Base.repo CentOS-Base.repo.rpmnew | more I see no changes to priorities i.e. seems to be same as original.
    Can some other CentOS user kindly educate me as to the purpose of the .rpmnew files and also whether my understanding of them as described above is correct ?
    Thanks.

2. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Sorry for asking this off-topic question, Ocky, but I was wondering...can the computer you're presently running CentOS 5.5 on handle the transition to CentOS 6 or will you be sticking with 5.5? RHEL 6 beta is a whole new ballgame for a lot of CentOS users that is unless they include a non-pae-required kernel for older hardware.

Later...

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Looks like it's possible but not recommended. See here .. http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide?highlight=(how)|(upgrade)

At the moment I am just using 5.5 on a laptop (old one) as a standby in case my PC with Ubuntus call it a day (like mobo corroded :argh: ). I like CentOS for the simple reason that it has never ever given me any problems and a lot of apps. are actually the latest, like vlc, clam av etc. FF is 3.0 but can be upgraded to latest.

Regards

4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

I like CentOS for the simple reason that it has never ever given me any problems and a lot of apps. are actually the latest, like vlc, clam av etc. FF is 3.0 but can be upgraded to latest.

indeed its very strong distro but problem is with gnome too old for eyes i love to get my hands on 6 because it made on fedora 12/13 which is indeed very stable and best so far

atleast on my pc i didnt get any trouble and yes gnome 2.28 or 2.30 does any know which version gnome is on redhat beta is using o_O

i can live with fedora 12 for another 4 or 5 years without updating it but they dont release lts :'(

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

RHEL6 beta is using Gnome 2.28
    all the major version numbers are listed here

I dont know why the release notes dont say which gnome version.

6. Trespasser

Ocky, if you don't mind me asking, which repo do you use to get the latest vlc for 5.5? The reason I ask is because I'm still considering putting CentOS 5.5 on my Dad's computer (presently running Ubuntu Karmic).

Thanks for your time on this matter.

Later....

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

So sorry, I thought it was the latest or near to latest version, but alas it is not. I don't know but probably also not from CentOS Plus repo.
    BTW. Still waiting for feedback on my first post, i.e. is my assumption correct ?

Edit: Hmm.. the ATrpms repo seems have latest .. http://atrpms.net/dist/el5/vlc/ (Marked blue indicating stable http://atrpms.net/dist/el5/)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  8. Trespasser

Thanks for the reply, Ocky. Yes, I tried ATrpm's version of VLC (1.0.6) but for some reason it wouldn't function once I had it installed. Had to settle on rpmforge's version (.99a), but it works fine. Rpmforge also has Wine 1.35 as well. BTW, CentOS Plus seems to have OpenOffice 3.1 in their repos.

On a side note...hurray for me...I finally got dialup to work properly under CentOS 5.5 today. It was a battle, and a learning experience, but I won. Third time's a charm, I guess. Looks like Dad and my brother will be getting a new (I mean old...:)) OS once I find the time.

Later...

9. mack_guy911

Trespasser why not fedora 13 its pretty stable o_O?

10. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Yes it is but he is probably looking for LTS.

11. mack_guy911

true linuxforall wish fedora make lts or centos with gnome 2.28 at least :D

cant wait for centos 6 please if any one hear me release it soon if not possible please release its beta............LOOL

12. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Fedora represents cutting edge testbed for LTS RHEL so they can't deviate from that, for LTS free its gotta be CentOS or Ubuntu LTS.

13. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

CentOS 5.5 updates just gave me a newer version of Firefox than U. Lucid.
    CentOS = Firefox 3.6.4
    Lucid = Firefox 3.6.3

Amazing considering all the gripes about CentOS running ancient software. OpenOffice is 3.1 - so also not too bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.