Censorship

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by John Bull, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Question for everybody :-

Does Google, the worlds megalodon in Search Engines censor our search subjects and/or the output ? Do we have a Master Moralist at large or even Government interference ?

It is so easy to introduce restrictions into a Search Engine whether by input or output. Such tampering can be the result of self-righteous moral behaviour by the controlling executive or their having to restrict certain activities by Government enforcement.

Food for thought eh ?

John Bull

2. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Yes they do, far more than anyone could imagine. As for Government interference, if it's good for Google's pocket and data compilation anything goes.

3. John Bull

Spoken like a true realist Boss.

Google DO tamper with our material and to prove it see this Preferences choice offered under Settings :-
    http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab327/johnbull17/GoogleFilters.jpg

If they can do that, they can do anything.

Appendix question - There are many Search Engines available to us, which SE can be trusted to be completely impartial and take what goes in to what comes out without acting as God, Judge and Jury ?
    John Bull

4. mvario

mvario Registered Member

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

YES they do, just one important example of malicious tinkering.

http://www.infowars.com/search-engines-censoring-climategate

6. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Yes Google does censor content, even here in the states. It has been widely discussed about how they censor conservative bloggers, especially those critical of Islam (you can Google it - ha). As was said already, they censor those skeptical of the global warming hoax as well as various other types of speech.

The problem is that they are a private company and can do what they please (and I support that right). I don't think it's the government's place to tell them what they can and cannot allow in the results. If we allow the government that power, then that is no better of a deal than what Google is already giving us. We would essentially be trading one master for a worse one.

I don't worry too much about it since there is plenty of competition out there for Google.

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

There are websites that do not allow their content to be webcrawled (like what Goggle does) to index the so-called Internet, i.e. they have an embedded html phrase at the start of their main website entrance that defeats indexing it.

Also, it is possible that some nations do worse than what Google does like the nations for which Wikileaks posted the blacklists they implemented. It is my understanding that those blacklisted websites (some are lawful businesses) are being blacklisted via DNS server techniques that propagate thoughout the Internet between neighboring DNS servers up to and possibly including the root DNS servers (I don't know for sure, but that is a far more widely spread form of censorship - since your DNS server will likely not be able to resolve the ip address of a website - than Google censorship).

-- Tom

8. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

One thing that happened here in Ireland is that 1 ISP blocked a site (piratebay) because of a legal threat by a lobby group. Other ISP's didn't.

That's the sort of censorship I dislike/fear and unfortunately think will become more commonplace.

<I like google's safe search feature as it means I can surf safer at work.
    XXX images can often be misleadingly named.>

9. John Bull

All posters so far have made comments that are intelligent and educationally acceptable, no signs of any gullible lemmings here. I wonder what a programmed Google robot would say ?

My final word to Google is best expressed by this portrait of ultimate power :-

~Image of hate not related to Google removed.~

John Bull

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2010
  10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Several posts removed for reasons defined in the Terms Of Service for using these forums.
    As this discussion has headed in a direction that is not acceptable here, this thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.