CD-ROM Access Causes Windows Reboot?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by kkathman, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kkathman

kkathman Registered Member

I have a system that is otherwise very stable, running Windows XP Home. However when a CD is placed in the CD-Rom, the system immediately shuts down and reboots as if you hit the reset key.

I disabled the autorun, and auto-shutdown on system failure, but the same thing happens. The unit is a LiteOn CD/DVD Rom. I also have asked the system to update the driver, at which time it reported there wasnt one. I also uninstalled the device and restarted. At which point the system DID find it again, but no change in status.

Interestingly enough, if you completely unplug the CD-ROM device and reboot, the system just cycles, and wont go to a clean boot.

I wonder if anyone might have any suggestions on what might be done before I take this in to a shop to have them probably replace stuff that doesnt need replacing :)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kork

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Have you jumpered the drive correctly?
    Mrk

3. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

start > run > (type) eventvwr.msc > system

look for warnings and errors

also access the BIOS and verify it sees the optical correctly
    there are setting in gpedit that you can disable the ability to view or write to media
    however they shouldnt make you crash
    Id agree a physical miscongifg (Master slave cableselect) is the most likely cause, but a bad drive or possibly cable could do it

its the crash part that really shouldnt be happening

make sure your IDE cabling is "legal"
    no slave without a master
    no mixing cable select with a master or slave (its either all cable select or none)
    all masters at the end of the cables
    no drive set to single (Master w\ no slave) with a slave present

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.