CD Disk Drive cleaners...do u use it?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by sweater, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Just wondering if anyone of you here regularly use cd disk drive cleaners...coz I am a little worried that it might does more harm than good. Will it possibly scratches the lens of the disc drive..or it is perfectly made not to cause this?

Also, even if Ipods and celphones with mp3 player is now very popular...I still fond of my sony discman portable player. Its been two yrs since I own this and played lots of good music cd's on it. But just recently, I noticed that the sounds of some of CD and CD-R I am playing becomes not clearer as before, the sounds got lower on volume even if the volume control is already in high. :doubt:

I already bought a dvd/vcd cleaner cd to clean up any dirts that might possibly in it but improvements in sound is just minimal and not as I expected. I want it to be very clear just like before as new. Do you know some effective but safe way/s to manually clean the lens of my portable discman player? Coz I am worried that I might damaged the lens coz it is very sensitive to touch. :cool:

2. Arup

Arup Guest

PC DVD and CD drives spin at much higher rates than regular home players so a brush can do a lot of damage there. Better to open up the drive and clean the optics. If the sound is low your op amp is going bad, not the lens.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2008
  3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

You can use a cotton swab with some rubbing alcohol to clean the lens. Just make sure to just barely touch it and then use a dry cotton swab to clean off excess liquid.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Rubbing alcohol can damage the plastic lens on the laser, better to use de-ionized water instead.

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I have one and have used it for quit some time. Actually probably time for a new one. The bristles are very soft and when used prudently, once every 6 months to a year depending on your environment, should cause no harm.

As stated above, alcohol may damage the lens, if plastic. I believe some are glass. Another option is a window\glass cleaner. Read the label carefully to be sure it is safe for both plastic and glass. Also be aware that while a q-tip is a fine way to apply it some may leave fiber(s) behind causing problems.

Side note; There are many types of lens cleaners out there. The same ones that are sold for game consoles will work with PCs and visa-versa. I also do this on Clients PCs as a courtesy when they are brought to me for any reason. Have yet to experience a problem.

Just some FYIs` from my previous experiences. o_O

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Lens cleaners are generally good, as long as they come from a reputed brand. For example, on my computer I always use a Philips lens cleaner disc every few months and my drive has been running great with no problems whatsoever....:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.