Cd burning

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Helia, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helia

Helia Registered Member

Hello I have a dumb Question :oops: LOL to ask.

I have a HP Pavillion model 7935 with windows xp home edition and using HP record now to burn cds ,copy etccc My Question is Can I add a Password to the CD before I burn it (I use maxell CD-R 650mb disks) I have files data etccc I want to put on cd and Dont want anyone getting the info in them Anyone have any Ideas about this? I know omega sells those zip disk and you can put a password in it but those are very expensive.
    Thanks

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Helia,

The only dumb questions are the ones never asked. ;)
    Have a look here: http://www.secureburn.com/ to see if that´s any help. There is a forum where you can ask any questions you might have left.

Regards,

Pieter

3. Helia

Helia Registered Member

Thanks Pieter_Arntz
    But that looks like I have to install that to my computer I only want cd to have a password is that the only way to do that.
    thanks again

4. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Helia,

On a CD-RW it is possible to create a password protected folder and burn the files you want to protect into that folder.
    I am not sure if creating a password protected folder with the data in it and burning the complete folder to a CD-R will have the same effect.
    Maybe someone else knows.

Regards,

Pieter

5. Terryala

Terryala Guest

o_O Speaking of CD burning is there a good user friendly Freeware program out there that a newbe can use to back up his program file etc? Thanks Grand Dad OLD, BOLD, & SLOW (Gladiator Moderator)

6. snowy

snowy Guest

Hellia

Now THATS a most interesting question.

Pieter

using AUTORUN do you think it would be possible to insert a password required.......maybe this could be done by way of a floppy that adds both auto exe and the password requirement while burning...something like making a boot disc.......whatca think o_O This is way out there yet the idea of password protection has a nice touch to it......

Terryala

I recently did an intensive search for a free burner but turned up nothing. If ever I find one.....will post

7. Pieter_Arntz

Snowy,

I'm pretty sure that's possible. Making a bootable CD that asks for a password is an option, but way over my head.

Terryala,

Unless you're using XP (built in burning program) I have no free alternatives to offer that are any good.

Helia,

I would suggest buying a Rewritable, unless you're an expert at encryption, I think creating a password protected folder at a RW and dragging those files in there is the easiest way.

Sorry for not being a great help in this,

Pieter

8. Helia

Helia Registered Member

Ok thanks everyone :)
    I do have Rw Cds but I don't know how to do this password folder thing.
    I dont want a bootable cd,,,, What I need Is to have a pssword on my CD that I put things in so no one else can see whats in the cd unless you know the password.
    Thanks again... :)

9. Helia

Helia Registered Member

Hello
    I went to help and support I have a hp pavillion did a search and I found it...... here is how you do it in case anyone else needs to know I tried it and it worked.
    THIS IS FOR WINDOWS XP HOME:
    To protect files in a zipped compressed folder with a password
    Open My Computer, and then locate the compressed folder.
    Double-click the compressed folder.
    On the File menu, click Add a Password.
    In the Password box, type a password.
    In the Confirm Password box, type the password again.
    Notes
    To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.
    Passwords are case sensitive.
    You can identify compressed folders by the zipper on the folder icon.
    When you extract an password protected file, the extracted file is no longer protected.

I made a zip folder to my desk top add the files I wanted protected burned to CDRW disk after I burned it tried it and you have to enter password to every file you open I am not sure what this ment >>>>>When you extract an password protected file, the extracted file is no longer protected.<<<< I opened the file many times to see if it stayed protected and it did anyone else know what they mean by this>>>> "When you extract an password protected file, the extracted file is no longer protected."<<<<

Thanks Everyone for your help
    :)

10. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Helia,

Glad you found this yourself. :)
    I think what they mean by "no longer protected" is that when the file is extracted you can copy it and the unzipped copies are not password protected.

Regards,

Pieter

11. Helia

Helia Registered Member

I believe your rite sounds like thats hwat it means
    thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.