CCleaner vs. MRU-Blaster

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by INTOXSICKATED, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

I've used MRU-Blaster since I first started my journey into the world of computer privacy and security several years ago.

As time has gone by, i've used it more or less to accompany other programs such as Ace Utilities and CCleaner. Eventhough I would run these other programs as more of a first choice, MRU-Blaster always seemed to pick-up traces of things that were missed when I ran it immediately afterwards.

Lately i've noticed that since CCleaner has update to version 2.00, MRU-Blaster doesn't detect anything anymore if I run it immediately following.

My question is, does anyone know if MRU-Blaster detects and cleans anything that CCleaner does not?

Thanks in advance.

2. Togg

Togg Registered Member

No, I don't know for sure. I also use both, usually MRU Blaster after CCleaner, and there is always something, such as Real Player items which CCleaner doesn't seem to pick up. Having said that, I haven't checked the CCleaner settings since I upgraded so perhaps some items are not selected?

Even though MRU Blaster hasn't been updated for a long time and doesn't appear to offer secure deletion (or perhaps there's a setting I haven't found?) I still think it's worth using.

3. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Yes, I got on to MRU Blaster via Herbalist! To help clarify I ran some before and after tests for you:

Before (scan only)
    Lists 6
    Items 10

Ran CCleaner (latest)

Lists 3
    Items 2

Ran Window Washer ( latest)

Lists 3
    Items 2

Ran MRU Blaster all zero!

Observation CCleaner gets 80%, Window Washer adds no value on MRU's

Use MRU last to pick up the residue missed by the other cleaners:cool:

4. Togg

Togg Registered Member

I was wrong about MRU Blaster and secure deletion. If you check out the Plugins you can enable a two pass overwrite, but only for TI Files apparently.

I assume that CCleaner's secure deletion options cover everything it removes.

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

You cannot actually "wipe" or "securely erase" the MRUs inside the registry. The registry in Windows XP and Vista are simply a series of files inside the \windows\system32\config and \Documents and Settings\{username} folders. Since only files and/or folders can be wiped, this does not allow for text entries inside a file to be wiped. But, unless a copy of the prior registry files are saved (whether on purpose or through leakage) it is basically the same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.