CCleaner vs. Boot-to-restore

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ErikAlbert, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

We will not be discussing actions taken against posts but let's hope it remains clear what the underlying reason was for those removals were for.

Re: PC Magazine review - ThreatFire 3.5
    Having said that, you now have a Boot-to-restore thread that you can use till your hearts content as spelled out by the above quote. Please expound on that solution for all the world to see and when you are out of words, you'll either have an audience listening or a tree in the forest with no one around to hear it fall.

Please do continue....

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Mr. One-trick pony is at it again. Well, it's his thread so... let me say that I really like blacklist scanners. Their protection is soooo perfect that back-up copies, images, etc, are totally unnecessary. :gack:

3. RAD

RAD Registered Member

So....uhhh....this whole conversation is completely incomprehensible to me.
    Would you mind indulging a newbie by briefly explaining your "total cleaning solution" or provide a link to where it is explained ?

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi RAD

Search on member Erik Albert and you will be able to read to your hearts content.

Pete

5. Long View

Long View Registered Member

we can argue the point all day long as to whether or not the junk left behind by programs really matters but I dispute that using FD-ISR will keep a system clean unless that system is totally static.

start with windows xp - add a couple of programs - say office, Firefox 2.x, adobe 7, and Perfect disk. As time goes by these programs will update or be replaced. If perfect disk if replaced by ultimate defrag and no reg cleaner type programs are used junk will remain. This may not matter but I don't see how the claim can be made that FD-ISR keeps things clean. Yes every time you make a change you could go back to the original Windows SP1 and update from there but who in their right mind would do this every time there was a change ?

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Don't forget to backup the malware that is left on your system after running these blacklist scanners.

7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Erik, from the CCleaner log "C:\Documents and Settings\Erik\Local Settings\Temp\~DFF5D4.tmp 96,00KB"

Is that 96 meg or 9.6 meg as there seems to be a zero missing or am I missing something?

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I think its just 96KB.

9. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

:D
    LMAO:D

10. ErikAlbert

I don't know. I'm not good in details. Windows recreates that .tmp-file over and over again, but I don't know its purpose. Maybe it's one of Microsoft's spyware. Maybe it's a number format error in CCleaner and it should be 96,000 KB.
    Very funny, if I found a bug in CCleaner after running it one time.
    It's probably not a bug, just a weird way of displaying numbers with different units : bytes, kilobytes, megabytes ... he uses everything. ;)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It's a long known fact by now ErikAlbert that you put great stock and trust in your boot-to-restore and that your FD-ISR freeze method easily renders scanners, cleaners, etc. pretty much redundant and not neccessary. That's a well known fact, and CCleaner falls squarely into that unneeded category irregardless if it finds a few additional Mega-Btyes here or there.

And further, if you also use as a front-line defense a HIPS or better yet AE, i would go as far as saying you have relatively formidable protections against anything penetrating FD-ISR that would possibly blow a gasket in that ISR program.

How are you doing though where regards scripting protection? I also use CCleaner but i don't bother when running Returnil, Power Shadow, or FD-ISR because anything loaded down on disk either locally or from he internet is promptly flushed.

12. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

That's painfully obvious when you get down to it.
    I suppose you have some factual information to back that up? Or are you just flinging random blather?
    How about taking a look at your system Regional and Language Options? Too much trouble before speculating on a "bug", which is probably a misunderstanding on your own part of the variable radix point and digit grouping systems in use? I assume you use Frisian, in which case 96,00KB is the same as 96.00KB under the English system.

Blue

13. ErikAlbert

Another mod that doesn't like me, the row is getting longer. I like to make fun of softwares and there is nothing wrong with CCleaner, otherwise this forum would be full of complaints about CCleaner. Isn't that logical ? :)

14. BlueZannetti

ErikAlbert,

It's much simpler than that. Try to think before you post, the result is more productive that way.

On the other hand, if you just want to randomly "make fun" of software in various threads, take it at another site. That type of contribution is not desired here.

Regards,

Blue

15. Long View

Long View Registered Member

what about software loaded 6 months ago and now removed ? Returnil, Power Shadow or FD-ISR will not help here. Either an image made before the program was installed 6 months ago needs to be restored OR a cleaner needs to be used OR the problem is just ignored. Retoring from an image usually means all programs installed since that image need to be installed again - a lot of work.
    Ignoring the problem means the machine is not at all clean which leaves cleaners. whether or not cleaning makes any real difference is another question but anyone not using them will NOT have a clean machine.

16. BlueZannetti

One could always manually accomplish what a cleaner tends to automate, or augment cleaning with a manual check. If the issue is regarding an installation, plan ahead and use an aid such as Total Uninstall.

There are many paths to the same outcome...., always.

Blue

17. ErikAlbert

If you don't like the thread delete it, I don't mind, it's just a bunch of words. :)

18. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Well then there would be no due process. It's not that you should be censored. Rather, it is a matter of posting relevant and valuable content.

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Erik, I don't think you get it. Let me try this analogy. Suppose every night someone slipped into your kitchen and thru garbage all over the place. Heck it's just garbage and can be cleaned up, right. I don't think you'd say that, I think you'd get mighty tired of it real quick.

This is exactly what you are doing here.

Pete

20. osip

osip Registered Member

Well, I love EA:s inputs and the reactions it gets...You ppl seem to think that we are talking about personal bank accounts...This is a forum and not about brain competition...If you want to box and win do that in the ring...Seems to me that some decency is needed here...

21. BlueZannetti

It's also about not posting gratuitous blather of random pertinence.

Now back on topic. This thread does have a marginal topic.

Blue

22. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

There is decency here, I don't think anyone here is taking a personal shot at ErikAlbert the person, it's just that the boot-to-restore thing can be like a broken record player sometimes. It's not practical for me, I have 1 partition (stupid as that may be) and can't afford another drive and/or multiple DVDs to constantly keep images and such. It's out of my budget, regardless of its "near fool-proof" approach. So, I use what I can, and constantly being reminded about boot-to-restore gets old and annoying, and I believe that is the sole reason behind all this flare-up, that not everyone needs/wants/can use that approach and don't need/want reminders of it. I believe that is what this is all about, nothing more, nothing less.

23. osip

osip Registered Member

I´m not a defender of the "boot-to-restore" and I´m also aware of EA:s own words that his solution tends to be boring...If you´re annoyed why answer at all in a topic without interest ? That kind of topics have a minor reponse and have tendency to vanish by itself...That´s not the case here...I´m stopping here in this topic.

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Because it pops up all the time in topics with interest, simple as that. If it were a boot-to-restore topic thread, of course no one who has interest in it would reply (you'd think at least), but it makes its way into almost every topic, that is what has people's feathers ruffled, THAT is why the torches and pitchforks are out. I'm done now too.

25. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Or other methods of cleaning (manual) as suggested above. But you have a point there Long View, Erik's strategy is not what he's trying to make it look like... I do wonder why is he doing this though...

Well, this needs to stop, that's why. I have been a member here for a year and a half and I do remember Erik had 3-4000 posts at the time I joined. Look at that figure now. Ok, let's admit that maybe 5% of it was something constructive but it grew fast mainly due to his copy-paste job - repeating one same old rant. The guy is actually filling these boards with spam...

I think Erik is actually looking for someone to talk with. A little attention.
    He actually sets up a trap and waits for a newbie user who is not familiar with his rants. If someone replied that CCleaner is good and effective, Erik would've jumped on him like a boa constrictor with his 'booooot-tooo-restoooore' monologue.

Unlike mods who have their obligation to keep Wilders clean, I have nothing against fun. But what you're doing is far from my definition of 'fun'. U are having 'your fun' by making other (good) software look bad in comparison to FD-ISR. This time it's a cleaner, next time it will be a HIPS or a 'scanner'. Who are you to judge the value of any software and call it 'useless'? Someone actually had to make an effort building it, but you simply don't have respect. This is not 'fun', it is an 'insult' in my book.

So I ask again - where are you going with this attitude Erik?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.