CCleaner vs. Boot-to-restore

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ErikAlbert, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I installed CCleaner to verify how much it would "clean" after my boot-to-restore.

This is CCleaner's report#1.
    So it seems that CCleaner does a better job, than my boot-to-restore, because it still finds 98240 KB to remove.

I rebooted and ran CCleaner again.
    This is CCleaner's report#2.
    Report#1 and report#2 have exactly the same objects, which means that all these objects are re-created during reboot. So it's quite useless to remove them. Besides these objects, CCleaner didn't remove anything else.
    Conclusion :
    CCleaner doesn't clean more than my boot-to-restore and that means I don't need CCleaner or any other history/junk cleaner for daily cleaning.
    My boot-to-restore is even better than CCleaner and any other cleaner and I can prove that too. :)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  2. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

When was report 1 ran?

3. ErikAlbert

After boot-to-restore of course, which I mentioned in my original post.

4. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

So reports 1 and 2 are both from after your boot to restore, arent they just the same thing?

5. Long View

Long View Registered Member

what about when you decide to remove a program ? today I removed Foxit to replace it with PDF-XChange Viewer. lots of stuff left behind. Yesterday I removed Returnil to be replaced by Shadow Defender. all you have tested is a clean system with objects that get re-created. If your machine is that clean then yes nothing else needs to be removed. But it won't stay that clean if you install new programs. Do you have office on this machine ? I assume not - otherwise Crap cleaner would have found a great deal to remove.

6. ErikAlbert

Yes, I have MS Office 2000 Pro, which is also cleaned during boot-to-restore and that counts for any other installed software, even softwares that are not cleaned by CCleaner. CCleaner will always produce the same report after boot-to-restore and will produce a much larger report between two reboots.

To uninstall existing softwares, I have Add/Remove and Total Uninstall+Regedit, but I rarely uninstall existing softwares.
    Any new software is tested first in my actual system as long as needed and when I like it, I will install it permanently in my clean system, otherwise I remove it completely with archives or boot-to-restore.

Recently I tested ShadowDefender, but I don't do this in my actual system, because I already have FDISR. I restored another image and tested ShadowDefender there without FDISR, because I wasn't planning to keep it.
    Softwares like that affect your whole harddisk and you can't combine them in the same image. Some users do this, but not me, it's against my principles. It's FDISR or ShadowDefender, but not both.

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello Erik :)

What exactly are you trying to achieve with this thread?
    To show how software A cleans 0.0001 bytes more than software B? To tell us how FD-ISR is superior to any software ever made? What kind of discussion you want to start here exactly?

As a matter of fact how can you make comparisons between two types of software not even remotely related? CCleaner is a cleaner, FD-ISR is not. It is something completely different, but you already know this. Then why a thread?

Your principles are well known I believe. But your somewhat lengthy posts which explain your strategy for the n-th time are becoming a bit tiresome...

Cheers,

8. ErikAlbert

You don't seem to understand anything about this thread, but I'm used to this. Keep on cleaning your garbage with CCleaner, because I know for sure I do better and I'm not talking about 0.0001 bytes, I'm talking about megabytes. Keep in mind that I don't spend anytime on cleaning, nothing. How about you ?

9. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello

This is very self-confident. Which is good in itself.
    But essentially, this is only your personal opinion and nothing more. You don't need to push it so persistently.
    If your strategy makes you feel warm and secure, I am perfectly fine with it. My strategy makes me feel the same.

Cheers,

10. ErikAlbert

I know from the past, that my volume increased every month, although I used the same permanent softwares and cleaning tools. So something was wrong. I don't have that problem anymore.

11. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Agreed.

Maybe you can create a guide for your approach with screenshots and instructions so that others who agree with you also apply your approach.

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Do you sell boot-to-restore apps? Sometimes I wonder, lol. I don't mean any personal offense to you seriously, but this thread was a bit pointless. Of course CCleaner finds nothing, your system was basically "sent back in time", just like Returnil does, or should I say "makes time stand still". We know you consider boot-to-restore the ultimate solution, you make it very clear in 98% or better of your posts. If we want to use boot-to-restore and can, we will, otherwise, our other tools work just fine. You need to understand, outside of Wilders, are thousands and thousands of people who don't have any clue what the hell boot-to-restore even means, let alone how to do it, that's why these other tools are available, they are just as simple if not more so than boot-to-restore.

Again, I'm not taking shots at you, but, seriously, we get it, we know where you stand.

13. ErikAlbert

I explained it so many times already, that my posts were deleted by the mods.
    I have a total cleaning solution, that removes any unwanted object on my system : malware, registry, history, junk, whatever and all I have to do is "reboot", nothing more than that. You have no idea how much time I save.

14. Seer

Seer Registered Member

What are you saying? Finish your quote - you do not have any problems anymore because you use FD-ISR. You really like this software. So do I, I've used it for a few years.
    But let us get into something constructive in this thread, or I won't be coming back. I am sorry if I took it 'off topic' for a while...

15. ErikAlbert

FDISR can be used in MANY WAYS, only experienced FDISR-users know that, but not every FDISR-user, uses FDISR like me and that's why I have a computer that cleans and repairs itself automatically during reboot.
    I can't accomplish the same with Returnil, etc.

16. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Well if your posts have been deleted by the mods its telling you something. There are so many posts all over wilders about what you are doing however they are mostly just you posting on how great what you have done is.

If you actually write a guide on what you are doing and how to do it (rather than just posting a virus scan result or any kind of 'evidence' on how good your approach is) it will be valuable and wont be deleted by the mods.

17. ErikAlbert

I explained everything in full detail already.
    In this thread I only wanted to show, that you don't need the very popular CCleaner to keep your computer clean on a daily base. Some users use alot more cleaners than CCleaner according my readings. I even ditched my registry cleaner, it was useless.
    Even my new backup procedure was ignored.

18. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Your approach may excel at keeping a system clean but it isnt practical for everyone.

Also CCleaner isnt meant to compete with your "Boot-to-restore". Its just a simple cleaner program.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

for most people it isnt practical at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  20. ErikAlbert

CCleaner is an incomplete cleaning solution and it doesn't matter how many cleaners you install, it's still incomplete and it wouldn't be the first time that users clean too much and get in trouble. Reading cleaning/malware/problem/disaster posts was my tutorial to get that far. The rest was pure logical thinking and using the right softwares.

21. WSFuser

I highly doubt CCleaner was made with you in mind Erik. If its too incomplete, just dont use it. Simple.

Also this thread wasnt necessary IMO.

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

true ccleaner can be to agggressive.
    the main problem with boot to restore for most people is that
    1. by default everything is on one partition so you would wipe out documents as well.
    2. users sometimes dont even know add/remove programs exsist(for example my ex GF didnt.),so if they dont know that there is no way there no what a partition is or how to split c: and create a D:
    there is no pefect solution.

23. ErikAlbert

I doesn't matter if CCleaner was made for this. What matter is that I found a solution to keep my computer superclean every day and with less softwares.
    I find any post about cleaning unnecessary, they all look alike and end with an incomplete solution.

24. WSFuser

Exactly!
    So why post about CCleaner then?

25. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Erik,

let me try to come from a different angle - why are you so bothered with "junk"? And so obssessed with "supercleanliness" of your system. What does it really matter if there's a few MBs (or even GBs) of junk in some folders?
    This obviously reveals a compulsive personality. Perhaps not in general, but you certainly have a compulsive approach to the world of computers. This may be a sign of bad experiences with malware/system crashes/whatever in the past.
    You just need to relax, have a glass of beer and chill for a while...

But I will really stop now as this is far out of Wilders jurisdiction...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.