CCleaner v3.05.1409 released [04 Apr 2011]

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by FanJ, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

History:
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/version-history

("Bold" by me in the quote)

Slim version has also been updated:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lord I get tired of updating this program, lol. Weird bit of info in there though, "Shareaza, iMesh, BearShare, DC++ and Ares.". Shareaza I believe to be dead, DC++ and Ares as well.

3. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

4. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

I'm sticking with 3.03 until they fix:
    -Unused file extensions bug where CCleaner detects some extensions as unused even though they're associated with a program that is installed on the system
    -Cleaning Opera Internet history causes Opera to "forget" the default download folder. DL folder is set to My docs.\Downloads, yet after cleaning it's set to My docs.\ even though the \Downloads folder is correctly specified in Opera settings.
    (XP OS)

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I think they've always had the extensions issue. They've gotten worse, imho, about cleaning in general. I'm always finding things they supposedly cleaned.

6. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

That may be true, but at least on my system 3.03 doesn't exhibit such (erratic) behavior, whereas 3.04 and 3.05 would detect extensions as unused over and over simply because I started and closed the application associated with said extensions.

And it took me a good deal of time to figure out what was messing up Opera's download location... :ouch:

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yeah, I get that a lot as well, the repeat of extensions. It actually took me some time to figure out that that was what was wrong. I all but ignore the registry cleaning part now.

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Interesting that the Slim version is released around the same time.

9. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

This has been like that for ages for me. Solution obviously is to ignore irrelevant junk in the registry cleaner (do not scan for it) or ignore the function altogether. My opinion is that all the registry cleaners and optimizers suck, some less, some more, but in general all of them suck and are pointless except for very special cases.

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Agreed :thumb:

Just use the excellent file cleaner, along with maybe CCEnhancer.

11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

This time, the Slim version arrived Just-in-Time...:thumb:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  12. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Does anyone know if they will incorporate auto-updating any time soon?

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It has automatically check for updates to CCleaner checked by default.

14. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

I wished they would do this soon. Their update function only opens your browser and you have to manually download and install each new version.

I only CCleaner about once a week or less often when my system needs to be cleaned up and every time I start CCleaner up, it says it has an update that I have to manually download and install. This is so annoying.

Why can't they include an updater that just updates the components? instead of a complete install each time.

Thanks.:D

15. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Me too. Even just a built-in manual updater would be nice.

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Oh, woe is me! You're so annoyed at having to manually download updates for that free software. You could always use another tool that maybe doesn't bother you so much. ;)

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lol, hey, with as many updates as CCleaner has, it is annoying to have to manually download the entire program every time! :D What's with manual updates nowadays anyway? Hasn't years of software development shown that end users are forgetful/lazy? This can be solved by using Secunia PSI, but, if you want it to keep you informed of updates, it's yet another process that has to run in the background at all times. Also, the best part of it, the auto-updating that happens without user interaction, leads to program updates you may not want due to preference or incompatibilities.

So, CCleaner really could use a built-in updater, and preferably one that doesn't require the entire program to be downloaded and reinstalled.

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I just can't get annoyed with a free program as good as CC, no matter what the upgrade process involves.
    But to each his own. :)

19. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

people can appreciate free software, that doesnt mean people cannot give suggestion as to how it can improve.

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

:thumb: While I personally see CCleaner being less effective these last few versions (inevitably I have to manually delete files and entries it supposedly cleaned), my suggestions weren't to be seen as a knock on CCleaner. I just see a need for programs to automatically do what users historically forget or don't want to do, which is update their software. I really don't see why updates to CCleaner require so much anyway. What are they doing to it, and doing it so often, that updating requires entire program downloads?

21. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Got it! Thanks for the heads up, FanJ! :)

22. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

My point exactly, I appreciate free software but when there is an issue that needs to be worked on, then I will state it. There is no telling how many other free software that have either a manual or auto update function that will update only the needed components. An excellent software like CCleaner should have this as well.

Thanks.:D

23. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I haven't come across too many though Firefox is a good example of one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.