CCleaner no longer cleans Flash ?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Fly, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

The link you give explaining how to use CCleaner to automatically clean flash cookies only works if you are using the Flash Player version for Internet Explorer I believe. I only have the Flash Player for Firefox. I don't even have Adobe Flash listed in CCleaner under Multimedia. That is why I have the advanced options set to clean my flash cookies.

2. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Is the OP talking about the website history list that appears in the Global Flash Settings not being deleted and not the stored flash cookies themselves not being deleted? If so then deleting your flash cookies will not clear that list unless you also clear the main settings.sol file, which unfortunately also deletes your update settings, camera & microphone access settings, etc.

This is from BetterPrivacy's Firefox extension webpage:

Q: I notice that when I go to the Flash Player settings manager site I still get a list of visited pages.

A: In default configuration BetterPrivacy does *not* delete the Flash-Player-default cookie. Some users consider the default cookie as important since it keeps Flash-Player update settings as well as some camera or microphone settings. The default cookie also keeps a complete list of all visited flash-cookie pages. However, the stored data associated with those visited pages will be deleted by BetterPrivacy though.

As long as the default cookie is kept, Flash-Player's settings-manager still shows a complete list of all visited pages, even if BetterPrivacy deleted all data storing objects. Go to BetterPrivacy's options and check 'Also delete Flash-Player default cookie' in order to remove the list of visited pages as well as the Flash-Player settings.

3. culla

culla Registered Member

oops thats what i meant and what i did thanks for clarifying :)

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

(Windows XP Home Edition SP 2 IE 7)

I'm not sure what to make of that. If CCleaner cleans the Flash application but not the cookies, then what does it clean ?

Anyway, I downloaded the latest build. With my inclusions it indeeds cleans the Flash cookies. I didn't create an exclusion for the settings.sol file. Perhaps that makes the difference ? I don't know how. In the past I could just exclude the settings.sol file.

Quite some time ago someone suggested to make the /sys folder read-only. I tried that, but only to discover that some weird settings file was created/added to the /sys folder ! Something with one or multiple X's.

I don't understand.

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

One of the general “lessons learned” from this thread, in my opinion, is to take the time to verify on your specific PC that a wipe utility is actually operating as expected -- rather than simply assuming that it is properly functioning.

6. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

I always clean my flash data manually (Doing a search and deleting the files)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.