CCleaner, clean or not ?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Fly, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

System: Windows XP Home Edition

I decided it was time for some 'cleaning', and downloaded the latest version of ccleaner.
    From the website and filehippo I uploaded it to virustotal and jotti.

ClamAV flagged it as malware (trojan), the other scanners didn't find anything.

I tried several versions, each time ClamAV reported it as malware. An old version passed.

It's probably a false positive. But I want to be sure. Recently I've learned to check each file before executing it.

Anyone who uses KIS (2009/2010 ?) and has tried to run Webroot's Window Washer will know that 'cleaners' are not always 'clean'.

Ccleaner includes a Yahoo toolbar (stealth installation?). I suppose that could be sufficient reason to flag it.

Feel free to comment. Right now I don't want to run it.

Are there any good alternatives (free) ? Index.dat files are important.

2. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Not a stealth installation, the default is to install it (bad) but it can be un-checked during the install.

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Before installing, I scanned ccsetup.exe with avast!, Avira, MBAM and Prevx. If they don't have a problem with it, then I don't, and I personally wouldn't care too much what ClamAV says. - My 2 cents. :)

4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

...can also dLo the Slim-version of CC and avoid the issue of toolbars, if you're not going to install the "extra".

5. microbial

microbial Registered Member

Isn't the Yahoo toolbar optional though? I know the first time I installed Ccleaner I failed to untick the Yahoo toolbar installation box and then spent ages removing the bloody thing. Piriform do state that their product is spyware/adware free and I think it does a decent enough job.

6. 19monty64

CCleanerSlim doesn't have the toolbar included with the installer... ;)

7. 19monty64

and yes it (toolbar) is optional.

8. microbial

microbial Registered Member

This topic is moving so fast that by the time my post is displayed it makes me look like the village idiot. Oh well :)

9. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

Avira AntiVir flags Evidence Eliminator's installer as Trojan Zlob. I don't know if it is a false positive or not?

However, I use CCleaner on daily basis. What puzzles me about it is that there is always 5 MB in the Temporary Internet Files to clean, even right after cleaning and rebooting?

10. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Have you tested/tried CCleaner v2.23.993 - Slim? The Slim build is compiled without the Toolbar.

You can download CCleaner v2.23.993 - Slim here:
    http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds

I have been using Webroot Window Washer from day one of its premiere, all builds are clean.....

HKEY1952

11. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Yeah, I'm with HKEY, I can't imagine any problems with Webroot's Window Washer. As with anything, just make sure you're getting the real deal from the product website or one of the reputable download sites (download.com, Major Geeks, etc.).

12. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Webroot's software needs to be handled with care.

A brief comment on Webroot's Window Washer:

When I was trialling KIS (2009 or 2010 ?) I ran the trial version of Window Washer. Short version: WW burrows deep into the system. It also has the ability to break through most firewalls. KIS actually showed me HOW, but I don't remember the details.

13. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Someone must have reported this issue, both the slim build and the standard build are now clean according to all AVs.

14. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

WOW, I sure would like to read the long version of this security breach.....it might revolutionize Windows Built In Security and Fame KIS number one of all time. :eek: :rolleyes:

HKEY1952

15. enrico

enrico Registered Member

If I am in doubt whether a software may be malware or not I give the maker a call. Not an email but a plain, old-school, out-of-fashion, real life telephone call.

Try THAT with the makers of CCleaner! :ninja:

Then start wondering...

16. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

CCleaner is freeware -- why should they bother taking your call in the first place.

17. enrico

enrico Registered Member

There has been a posting in their forum asking them why they are anonymous. The poster rose this questions:

It is Freeware as in "no financial business model involved". Given that...

* Why do they register the domains with anonymizing registration services at extra cost?

* If searching the maker "Piriform Ltd." in the UK company register you will find a virtual office provider address as the "place of business" of the CCleaner company

The posting has been deleted quickly from their forum.

Makes me think, why the efforts? Why spending so much money on anonymity if all I do is giving away "freeware"?

P.S.: Here is my research for Piriform.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  18. culla

culla Registered Member

i use the portable version no problems
    http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds

clamAV portable tried it found false positives in progs and games i've been using for years avira personal is better and free

19. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Now this is interesting... Who is Piriform? All I could find is this little bit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piriform_(company)

20. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

In this case who cares? So what they have chosen to remain private, whoever they are. They do have proven track record, especially with Ccleaner. That speaks for them.

What comes to malware detection in such well known software people should really think hard before screaming infected (imho).

False positives are a fact of life.

21. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

I for one reserve the right to care for whatever I think is appropriate. People - and organisations - who cloak their identities usually have something to hide.

22. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

Exit the stargate initial perception quickens my heart rate
    This dark place planet Earth orbits one star
    Come from afar far away state of mind
    Open up your 3rd eye Black Helicopters in the sky

23. enrico

enrico Registered Member

What do you mean with proven record. What is proven?

1. The only thing that is proven is, that they seem to try hard to stay anonymous.

2. The only thing that is proven is, that they give away their software for free.

3. The only thing that is proven is, that nobody seem to care why a company that gives away software for free invests a lot of money to stay anonymous.

These are the facts that just don't fit for me.

24. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

@ enrico, I see nothing suspicious in this at all. Like many companies they use serviced offices. If you're that concerned obtain their reports and accounts and you can see who the directors are. They provide freeware, so have a right of anonymity in my opinion. You have absolutely no facts, just pointless wild speculation.

25. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Proven record as in they produce, and have produced for several years, solid software which works as described and they do not charge you for fixing errors or cleaning files.

Situation would be different should they pop up now offering software which only scans for free but charges for cleaning/fixing. Then I'd be suspicious.

Too much paranoia doesn't help. It just makes one's life miserable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.