CCleaner and Antivir

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Rickk, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rickk

Rickk Registered Member

New version of CCleaner now includes cleaning of Antivir files.

a) What does this mean?
    and
    2) If they weren't being "cleaned / disposed of" before, where were they accumulating?
    finally
    3) Is this the case for KIS files too (ie. accumulation) or does CCleaner clean Kaspersky?

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

erm ... not exactly sure what it means.

antivir has been known to leave files in the machine after un-install and sometimes take over the security center, maybe ccleaner just deletes these things that are left over.

or maybe it just deletes all the logs and the things that are not needed

this is not an avira bashing post, alot of the av's leave files in the machine, some more than others, im just saying what i think the ccleaner feature might be. :)

o_O

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  3. DaveD

DaveD Registered Member

On my system, CCleaner removed about 30-40 log files that were in the AntiVir directory.

4. Arin

Arin Registered Member

[AntiVir PE Classic]
    LangSecRef=3024
    Detect=HKLM\SOFTWARE\H+BEDV\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic V 7
    Default=True
    FileKey1=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\FAILSAVE|*.*
    FileKey2=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\INFECTED|*.*
    FileKey3=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\LOGFILES|*.*
    FileKey4=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\SYSSAVE|*.*
    FileKey5=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\TEMP|*.*
    FileKey6=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\UPDATE|*.*
    FileKey7=%ProgramFiles%\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic|*.old

[AntiVir PE Premium]
    LangSecRef=3024
    Detect=HKLM\SOFTWARE\H+BEDV\AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium V 7
    Default=True
    FileKey1=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium\FAILSAVE|*.*
    FileKey2=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium\INFECTED|*.*
    FileKey3=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium\LOGFILES|*.*
    FileKey4=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium\SYSSAVE|*.*
    FileKey5=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium\TEMP|*.*
    FileKey6=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium\UPDATE|*.*
    FileKey7=%ProgramFiles%\AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium|*.old

This is from Crap cleaner's .INI file. It seems ccleaner will simply delete logs, quarantined files, temp data and update cache. I'm not sure what these syssave and failsave folders hold. Maybe Stefan can throw some light on it. It sounds important though. These files shouldn't take up much space and log files help us to troubleshoot. So I won't check the box for cleaning up Avira files.

5. Arin

Arin Registered Member

If you don't want to delete the contents of FILESAVE/SYSSAVE folder, simply remove the line and adjust the FileKey number accordingly. Its safe to edit this .INI file. No, ccleaner doesn't clean Kaspersky files.

6. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

It is good that the box is not checked by default as you say. I update CCleaner maybe soon, but did not know it have things for Avira Antivir as well.
    Cleaning something from virus quarantine, if even possible, should be left to only Avira program, but I do doubt that CCleaner has that access. Prompts me to try install a new version though after this thread reading to making me curious.

Myself I think that emptying Recycle bin as a default is too much if that has been the default CCleaner setting or if I am wrong I have just checked that myself one moment.
    I do like CCleaner much though.

7. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Default=True

This line in the .INI file means that by default Avira file cleaning is checked by ccleaner. I meant I'll uncheck it or edit the .INI file to leave some files. Its a personal choice and by no means I'm advicing you fellows. If you know what you are doing then go ahead, otherwise leave the log files, quarantined files and those syssave/filesave folders alone. Eh! Again sounded like an advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.