CCleaner 4.18.4844

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stapp, Sep 26, 2014.

1. niki

niki Registered Member

Slim is available: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

I deleted the standard version and installed the slim one. Unchecked both enable system monitoring and enable active monitoring. Works fine.

Checked the icons in the Show hidden icons and see in the pic what I found. Now I am wondering of what is shown in the pic is an error or what?

Attached Files:

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

1. Using Process Explorer, when opening the CCleaner program, I see this:

2014-09-29_102538.png

2. Enabling Active Monitoring (which also enables System Monitoring), closing the CCleaner program via red x, with tray icon displayed, I see:

2014-09-29_102658.png

3. Opening CCleaner, and disabling System Monitoring first, then Active Monitoring, this prompt appears:

2014-09-29_103031.png

4. Closing CCleaner program (after disabling everything, and tray icon gone) shows no sign of previous process running.

5. Now, I repeat step 2, while using Process Monitor, I see this repeatedly:

2014-09-29_104001.png

6. Performing step 4 again, shows no sign of any processes running in Process Monitor.

3. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Registered Member

Thanks, JR. Perfect.

That first entry may be a log-file creation and holding open via ownership, and then the second entry may be the actual process logging to that opened-file.

None of these are large, but I still don't like walking on my lawn and stepping on a little dog's poo anymore than a big dog's. "Why are ANY of these in MY system?!!"

4. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

I for one, am done with CCleaner. The new version(s) have crashed by System twice. Really sad about it, but I can't continue with the hassle of having it screw up my pc.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Ah I understand, I thought you went straight to 4844 and had skipped to install 4842 ;) Thanks for the info JR
    Thanks for your info :)

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thanks stapp! :thumb:

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

10. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Registered Member

These threads are what Forums are great for. I will be setting up one computer with this 4844 version, whereas I've got so many at 4.14s and .16s. "The updates don't address any issue that's useful, so why bother?" has been a good excuse, and since 4.17's Bundleware Combat, it's been easy to ignore the product's so-called "advances". But Forums allow us to give and take, ask and get answers. Thanks, all.

11. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Is there any real advantage to update to 4.18.4844 other than the "active monitoring" which to me is not an advantage. So far have been sticking with 4.17.4808 slim version which has been working fine here.

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'd say no.

13. alicez

alicez Registered Member

I've always downloaded Slim version for my WinXP. Today I tried to download the 418 CC and I didn't see any Slim version listed. Isn't 418 Slim issued any longer for WinXP?

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

15. alicez

alicez Registered Member

I don't know why when I click on the "check for updates" in the lower right of CCleaner (on the WinXP) it takes me to CCleaner (https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds) page that only lists Portable and Installer, no Slim.
    Maybe it has something to do with IE8 that I have on the WinXP. But, as I said, this never happened previously.
    I did manage to download the Slim 418 and will just have to see how it behaves,.

16. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Is this build completely borked ? I'm not to get a feeling ...

17. Empath

Empath Registered Member

Follow-up versions removed it from Advanced, and made a "Monitoring" category in Options.

18. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

CCleaner used to be pretty good. But recently it's become a little annoying and slightly buggy. Obvious things are being inexplicably overlooked. Hopefully they'll get it turned around.

Additionally the forum staff is making fundamental errors in how questions are answered. To be fair, this is more a problem with Recuva than CCleaner.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.