CAV or MSE? (actually CIS vs C-Firewall + MSE)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by zakazak, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zakazak

zakazak Registered Member

Hi, i´m currently using the Comodo free firewall with d+ and HIPS enabled together with MSE 2.x. I wonder if it would be better to switch to CIS free (so with the CAV instead of MSE).

I couldnt find any comparison between CAV and MSE (ressources, dedection rate,..). Also i´m not sure if CIS differs to Comodo free firewall in more ways than just the CAV ?

Thanks

2. gery

gery Registered Member

comparing two or more products is not allowed here. No person but you can answer the question which would be better or best .
    on the other hand i think comodo firewall is the same with the fw on the Suite so no worries about that. Sticking to something is almost always a personal decision . if it suites to you then just use it

3. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

CAV or MSE? (Actually, CIS vs C-Firewall + MSE)

Stay with MSE instead of CAV.

4. guest

guest Guest

As somebody said A vs B is not allowed, my recommendation is uninstall MSE and install Avast or use CAV. You have also other alternatives like panda cloud and avira free
    MSE is a main target and is not able to protect himself so most of the malware not detected by MSE could be easily able to kill it or uninstall it.

http://www.anti-malware.ru/antivirus_self_protection_test_2010

http://windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/mse-delivers-mixed-results-in-antivirus-tests/ Check the pdf link inside this link

5. zakazak

well i´m not rly asking A vs .. i rather want information about resources they need, detection rate,... ofcourse their interface is different and its always about your personal taste. but i´m fine with both of them. I just wonder if CIS would work better (as it uses its own AV instead of some other AV (MSE)) instead of comodo fw + mse. Aswell as resources and other stuff.

For me the AV itself is the least part of the protection anyway. AV´s itself can be bypassed / killed so easily.. HIPS+ and Firewalls are in my opinion the important parts.

and no i wouldn't want panda or anything else. its just about CAV since i already use the comodo fw and thought about switching completely to comodo :)

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Are you 64 or 32 on your OS?

7. zakazak

win7 x64 prof.

8. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

l
    It would be nice to know which malware has yet been able to 'kill it or uninstall MSE' o_O any antivirus on a given day will miss to detect some makware.I am a happy user of MSE and yet to find myself infected or MSE disabled/uninstalled.Theoretical assumptions :doubt:

9. guest

guest Guest

No theoretical assumptions: http://www.anti-malware.ru/antivirus_self_protection_test_2010
    I posted this link before you avoided it in the quote, use google translator.

I see you are happy MSE :D Did MSE stooped any malware in your system? probably you didn't have any problem with malware.

I'm not saying that any malware is able to kill it but according to the test MSE is the weakest one in this field, and nobody knows if they have improve since then, there is no detailed changelog, and the development is hidden

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2011
  10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I had one customer who got a fake antivirus and after removing it i had to reinstall MSE because the service didnt want to start. so MSE does need to work on self protection.

11. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

Reviews are plenty to find some rating it good and some bad reviews too, as with any other antivirus product.One example......
    http://lifehacker.com/5433229/microsoft-security-essentials-ranks-as-best performing-free-antivirus
    For me it has stopped malware from usb and other suspicious downloads many times and has protected me so far.I have used and liked other antivirus software's as well but i don't find MSE as weak and helpless against malware.... as you have stated :) About change-log and development... maybe microsoft prefers it that way but that does not prove MSE is weak against Malware and self protection.Well these are my views, you are entitled to yours :)

12. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

Personally, I have had nothing but bad experiences with MSE. Having myself used it and seen it not block multiple wide-spread threats ( it took them 2 and a half months to block a lot of the facebook koobface trojans ) and having over a dozen people I had recommended it to come to me with tons and tons of infections ( some of which shut MSE down or in a few cases it had been remove from the system ). It has 0 self-protection.

Signature-based protection is a thing of the past and simply is nowhere near adequate to protect anyone, and MSE relies on signatures.

It is now one products I immediately remove when I am introduced to a PC, whether my own or a PC that I am repairing.

13. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

No A v B and for a good reason. Closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.