Catching "fish" in real life!

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by aigle, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Few days back I got a mail from one of my friends hotmail account, asking to see his pics I clicked the link and it opened a page that was a fake hotmail login page.

hxxp://chairmanchairs. net/jextr/mynsn@ps.html

I recognized the phish but after a while, as i was opening so mant tabs at a time. I did not login mainly as I had already logged in hotmail. But I realized that I use opera,s built-in password mananger and it will not login this page( a good reason to use a password manager).

Also after very short time, i had noticed the address bar that was showing a wrong address and the different favicon immediately caught my attention too.

I tried the same URL in chromium with BD Traffic Lite extension and it immediately caught the phish. Opera 11.11 and FF 3.6.1 n Ubuntu, no warning. IE 7 on windows 7 VM, no warning. Norton safe web- CAUTION about suspicios site with phishsing( stange that a phishing site must be marked dangerous rather than just caution! :thumbd: )

Out of curiosity I tried some proven phishing links from phish tank and I noticed that BD Traffic Light is very smart in catching them. :thumb: So seems Norton safe web( though only caution) and Gdata( from VT). :thumb:

I have a question though: Can the address bar show a spoofed address and favicon of login.live.com or hotmail.com instaed of phishing site address? If so, how one can detect such spoofing and phishing? Will a password manager help?

Thanks

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      91.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      81.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I loaded that up in chromium, and got the standard warning page "phising detected". Going there anyway shows exactly the same as you show.

What does that mean? I have no plugin or extension or other security tool in place, only the browser.

Sul.

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Must be built in, I have chrome the same thing happened.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

yes, it seems builtin one from google. may be i did not get it ue to older version.

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It seems already offline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.