Cash crash ahead? ‘Death’ of Windows XP could leave 95% of world’s ATMs vulnerable

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by SweX, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://www.welivesecurity.com/2014/...-xp-could-leave-95-of-worlds-atms-vulnerable/

2. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I found it interesting that according to the article, most ATMs run the full version of XP instead of XP Embedded. Where does the data come from?

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Don't know where the data comes from sorry, I can't help but wonder what's included in the "custom support contract" that is supposed to extend the life of an ATM running XP. :)

4. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

You would think that something like an ATM would be a perfect candidate for HIPS so that nothing off the white list could run.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

The same thing like the Y2K scare - boring.
    Mrk

6. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Susan Bradley described what sort of XP is used, see the first story
    http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/a-few-security-lessons-from-the-target-breach/

7. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

That is exactly why I asked where does the data come from in my above post. It's an open question to anyone who might know (not just Swex)

XPe (supported till 2016) was targeted for POS devices like ATMs so I'm inclined to believe that the admins in charge should know about it and use it. It caught my attention when the article states that "most ATMs" are running WinXP. I'm having doubts on that particular statement. If it's true, why would that be the case? Not accusing but would like to see reference to backup that info.

8. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I have worked with XP ATMs. I assure you they are easily defeated, whether embedded or not.

Without naming names, I know more than one major branch that uses XP. Easily the majority in the US.

9. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I am sure that when I walk up to that hole in the wall, I will still be able to withdraw cash. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.