Case Sensitivity Problems

Discussion in 'hardware' started by RCGuy, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Sometimes after having been on my computer for a long time, I have problems with case sensitivity.

And what I mean by that is that sometimes if I am trying to write something like:

What do I mean, what am I trying to say?

It will come out as:

wHAT DO I MEAN< WHAT AM I TRYING TO SAY?
    (The Shift key works in reverse, with the exception of multi-featured keys such as the < and , key.)

However, if I hit the Caps Lock key(but not when typing the first "W" and the two "I"s), my sentence will come out looking like this:

What do I mean< what am I trying to say?

Therefore, it kind of becomes a cat-and-mouse game where I'm pressing the Caps Lock key to get small letters, and leaving it off to get capital letters. Although, for multi-featured keys such as the < and , key, the keyboard is basically stuck on the upper < feature, regardless of hitting the Shift key or the Caps Lock key.

Also, since I mainly use the Firefox browser, this apparently happens when I'm using that browser, but happens when I'm on message boards such as this(but this has never happened on this message board, but on boards with more ads and more bloat on them) and when I'm trying to log into my Yahoo email account.

Also, interestingly, one night I had such a hard time logging into my Yahoo email account when using Firefox, that I closed Firefox and opened Chrome, and I was able to easily log into my Yahoo email account.

Therefore, does anyone one have any idea what is causing this problem? Would it have something to do with the Firefox browser or bloated message boards...or could it just be that my keyboard is starting to fail...and which is why I posted this thread in the 'hardware' forum?

Thank you in advance for any help with this with.

P.S. And BTW, sometimes I seem to have this problem when I'm first booting up my computer and keying in my OS password. Sometimes I have to make several attempts to key in my password as if the case sensitivity isn't working correctly(and which I can't really see because the password is represented by dots). However, the problem with that might be that I'm just not coordinating the Shift key with the characters that I am keying in correctly.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

This could simply be something as simple as a cookie crumb stuck under a key. Or it could be a worn return spring under a (or more and 1) key.

If me, I would shut down the computer and try a different keyboard to eliminate that from the equation before anything else. Borrow one from another computer if you need to and see if the problem still happens. If it goes away, you know you need a new keyboard (or give a thorough cleaning to your original KB to see if that helps).

If the problem remains with the second keyboard, then you know you have a problem with your computer and I would start with a thorough scanning for malware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.