Card reader vista 64bit

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    I have an internal card reader which supports SD,MMC,Memory stick,XD,CF,
    it has four slots.
    on vista when i open up "computer" i just have four removable disks
    H:,I:,J: and K:
    so when in insert media i never know which one to click on.
    i used to be ok with it since i assumed other operating systems done that kinda thing as well.
    but a few weeks ago i dual booted fedora and when i opened up file browser in Gnome all the slots are named such as SD/MMC etc
    is there any program i can use on 64bit vista which automatically labels the drives to which media the removeable drive related to?

i dont have all the media it works with so i cant really label the removeable media icons myself.

2. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

lodore, normally I do not deal with having to know my drive letter for my xD disk because I use the automatic import of pics via Live Photo Gallery which pops up when I stick the disk in.

But what you can do is when you determine which drive letter of the disk you right click on it and choose Rename. I have labeled my xD disk in the pic below just as I have labeled some of my USB sticks.

[by the pic, you can tell what I have been playing lately, lol]

Attached Files:

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey midway40,
    i would name the drive myself using that method like i renamed C: system, F: data and Z: backup
    but im not sure which drive does what media.
    i may just name the SD one when i next use an SD card.
    was hopin for a more automatic way since it looks alot better with the media names like it does in linux.
    is farcry2 anygood?

4. midway40

Oh, I see what you are talking about now. Since the only thing I use on the reader is xD disks I haven't really thought about that. Only way I see how to figure out which drives is for what is to have the all different types of cards and plug them one by one into the reader. When you plug the card in Autoplay pops up with the disk drive letter asking what do you want to do with it (if you don't have Autoplay disabled). You can then take note of each result. Maybe Win7 will handle it better.

[EDIT: I just renamed the drive without the disk inserted by using the same method.]

What I like is to find out how to do is to hide drives. Since the only thing I will be using is the xD drive I don't really need all those other drives listed. In XP you can use TweakUI to hide drives but I haven't found a simple way to do it in Vista yet.

FarCry 2 is ok to me though some people posted on it's forums that it sucked. I like the freedom of the game as it is not as linear as most FPS games. You can drive around and do whatever you want (some people noted that it should have been called Grand Theft Auto: Africa Edition, lol), take out baddies at outposts, hunt for diamonds, or help out a buddy (along with the main missions in the story) I had an ATI 3650HD card but it couldn't handle the graphics well in DX10 for some reason (card did fine in Crysis DX10). I have also been having problems with the ATI drivers in which for no reason at all the desktop will start "blinking" on and off and the only way to stop it was with a hard reboot. So I bit the bullet the other day and bought this monster MSI Nvidia 9800GT card and the game really rocks now :D

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey,
    ye i hope windows 7 does handle this media better.
    i will tell ya next week once i have tryed to beta to see if the media appears better in the new device stage thingy.
    alot of people are having problems with ati drivers recently.
    i have an nvidia 8800gt which works great.
    only really tryed demos since cant really afford games atm due to care insurance=(
    i have played crysis demo and i liked it.
    i like the freedom of it but i got kinda stuck once and havent tryed the demo since i installed 64bit vista.

6. midway40

Crysis comes with a x64 version which they say plays better than the x86 (I never played it x86 so I don't really know if it is true). I am not sure if Crysis:Warhead is x64 also.

My first video card was a Voodoo Banshee years ago but since then up till using Vista I had been using Nvidia cards. When Vista came out ATI did have better drivers than Nvidia but I think they have caught up and surpassed ATI now. I peeled my ATI badge off my case and stuck a homemade Nvidia badge on it, lol (I was hoping MSI would have supplied one but they didn't :( )

7. midway40

Oh, btw I did have to make a sacrifice in order to use this monster card. Since it takes up two slots it blocked my PCI-e 1x slot which I used for my Hauppauge TV tuner card. Now I will have to wait a while to get the money for a USB version of it. If you are not familiar with this slot (I wasn't until I bought this Acer) here is a pic of it:

Attached Files:

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i dont think i have seen that slot.
    i belive my motherboard has one of those slots thou.
    shame you had to take out the tv card.

9. midway40

I ran across this interesting post from wazza on a Vista forum where it appears that the identification and icon labeling may be more of the responsibility of the card reader maker in their drivers. Unfortunately, as the poster later noted, that this Sweex Vista driver has been taken off their site (it may only have been 32bit going from what the poster said).

I might try to find drivers of other brands and see if they might work like it did for this person. My card reader drives comes up as "Generic XXX USB device(s)" in Device Manager. I pulled my reader out and all it has is an Acer part number on it and they do not list any drivers for it on their site.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  10. midway40

Yeah it was a shame about the TV card. I was intending on taking out the modem card since I never used it because for some reason I thought the TV card was PCI. From top to bottom this Acer came with only four slots:

PCI-e 16x slot [graphics card]
    PCI-e 1x slot [nothing now :( ]
    PCI [Soundblaster X-Fi]
    PCI [Useless Motorola modem]

EDIT: for that matter alternatively I could buy a PCI TV card and trash the modem

11. xj10bt

xj10bt Registered Member

This will only show a drive letter when you insert something in one:

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.