Capsicum: Practical Capabilities for UNIX

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Hungry Man, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

2. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Yeah i watched that talk a while back. The creator of AppArmor was in the audience and asked a question at the end (that guy now works at Microsoft and no longer develops AA).

That project appears to take the same form as SECCOMP. Capability based security. It is doubtful such a system will ever replace MAC systems, but they can work well together.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Yeah, there's a Linux port supposedly in the works, although it has been two years.

It would be pretty great to have it on top of the current sandbox considering the current sandbox's weaknesses.

4. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Following your link there was something I hadn't heard of: http://plash.beasts.org/wiki/

Looks interesting. It basically does what AppArmor does, except it has the property of being dynamic. That is, changing rules on the fly. For instance, with AA if you want to give Firefox the ability to upload files, you need to give it access to the entire directory. With Plash, you can give it access to *only* the file you want uploaded and it will change rules on the fly. Kinda cool.

EDIT: I just asked the AA devs what they think of Plash. One responded:

So they like the idea but don't think chroot() is too secure.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.