Can't zero out or wipe MBR even after FDISR uninstall

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Horus37, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

I'll be uninstalling the program and compare a virgin MBR to what is left over after a complete uninstall. Also perhaps comodo fw or Avast AV have something to do with it as I don't know if either one of those 2 programs get into the MBR or lock my ability to rewrite the MBR.

One other thing people have brought up is defragging. I've been defragging from the 3rd snapshot NOT the original first host system snapshot and also only using the xphome defragger. So far no problems. However do you see that as a problem and why? I guess you are suggesting only defragging from the orignal 1st snapshot because? I'm hoping the xphome defragger isn't smart enough to rearrange the programs based on how much I used them across all the snapshots. That would be a disaster. I notice in the ADD/REMOVE section of xp it keeps track of how often programs are used so is that how the defragger keeps track of how often you use a program and perhaps rearranges programs based on that? I guess I must have dodged a bullet again on that. However I even did a DOS defrag from the 3rd partition and no problems. How dangerous is that?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Horus

I can only speak for perfect disk. When it defrags it knows about First Defense, and so protects the one file that it is preferable not to move. Other than that it treats the disk as a bunch of files, and defrags everything in all snapshots. I don't know as there is a reason not to defrag in any given snapshot, I just think it avoids problems to do it in the primary, especially the offline boot defrag.

Pete

3. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Well I've done defrags in the 3rd snapshot and can tell you it places certain folders way out on the disk but when you defrag from the primary snapshot it gets compacted better and no files places on the outter area of the hdd but so far it didn't create an unbootable problem. I even did a dos defrag from both the 1st and 3rd snapshots and no problems all with xp home defragger. However I may have been just lucky. I now see that I agree it's probably better though to do it from the primary snapshot. Visually when you do this you see in the defragger picture that files are way out on the ouside rim of the hdd with the 3rd snapshot defrag. That could mean problems later?

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I use Perfect Disk, and I just let it do smart placement and let it go at that.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.