Can't use SiliconDust HDHomeRun with firewall in automatic mode

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by flurge, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flurge

flurge Registered Member

Hi,

I've been using ESET Smart security for many years. I'm now on ESS 5.2.9.1. I admit to not being very knowledgeable about the firewall and how to add special rules, etc.. I do generally use it in interactive mode, but my wife's machine I have on automatic to make it less "chatty".

I just bought the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime network television tuner. It streams live TV from an ethernet LAN device to any computer with the SiliconDust software installed.

I've successfully gotten it to work with ESS in interactive mode by enabling UPnP in the advanced firewall settings and then allowing all network access for the application when prompted.

It fails with the automatic firewall. The SiliconDust setup program complains about UPnP not being enabled. I enabled it in ESS and double-check each time it complains. I get a black TV picture unless I either completely disable the firewall or put it into interactive mode and permanently allow the communication when prompted.

Of course when I switch back to automatic mode it stops working. I looked at zones, but couldn't make heads or tails out of what I could do with it to help.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hi flurge
    Just some suggestions from a Eset user, which hopefully brings you closer to a solution. Try first to see if this Eset article can help you: How do I configure ESET Smart Security to allow media streaming to my Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3? If that does not help then try to place the Ip address of your " HDHomeRun Prime network television tuner" in trusted zone. How do I add a trusted IP address to allow connection to a network device such as a computer or printer? (5.x)

Regards, Janus

3. flurge

flurge Registered Member

Thanks Janus! The second link sounds like what I need. I already did the UPnP configuration described by the first link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.