Can't update thru program or manually...

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by puce42, Mar 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puce42

puce42 Registered Member

I'm on SpywareBlaster 3.5.1 (English), Windows 2000 SP4 (English).

We have a firewall/proxy here that I have no control over that requires authentication. Plugging the information into SpywareBlaster 3.5.1 does not allow me to connect, regardless of whether "Alternative Download Method" is checked or not. I have double-checked both the address and port, and they're both correct (and correctly entered as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:yyyy). This is a hardware proxy, not software. "Use system proxy" doesn't work either.

I should note that this proxy works just fine with IE, Firefox, Java JRE, and Spybot S&D's update function. It appears to be a standard proxy of some sort, but I'm unsure whether it's SOCKS4, SOCKS5, or another standard.

Also, in the troubleshooting thread, the download links (which didn't work for a couple versions now) have been replaced by "download links will be back soon" or a similar statement. If I simply strip off the filenames from a saved version of the links and try to access the directory in which those files reside, I only get a blank page. (Specifically, I tried http://www.spywareblaster.net/spywareblaster35/, which seems to be the current location. Still a blank page.)

What do I do to get updates now? Will authenticated proxies be supported in the next version of SpywareBlaster?

Alternatively, could you either allow us to access the "spywareblaster35" virtual directory where the update files are stored, or could you package them up (in a ZIP or something) and provide a persistent link every time a new update is brought out?

I currently have no options for updating. HELP! :)

Mike

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  2. steveke

steveke Registered Member

I know that spywareblaster,com is a rogue site-I do not know if .net is. I have only used Javacool. See SpywareWarrior search for blaster:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

I am wondering if you have tried the "Use a direct connection to the internet" option. See, "Troubleshooting: Error connecting to update server:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.info/kb/idx/7/055/article/

Since yours is a hardware proxy-it may not work.

I do agree that it would be good to have a place for a download to computer.

3. puce42

puce42 Registered Member

Nope...it's not a rogue site. It's where the SpywareBlaster client itself grabs updates from. It's also the site that was pointed to here in the support forums until they removed the links "temporarily" last year.

Yes. I've tried every combination of all 3 options (direct, system proxy, specific proxy) with "alternative download" both on and off. All 16 combinations. None work.

The hardware proxy doesn't make it incompatible...the fact that SpywareBlaster doesn't support proxies that require authentication is what makes it incompatible.

The only other thing I'm aware of to try is the reghack in another thread. I don't have XP, so I'm unsure if the reghack will work or not. I haven't had time to try it. Somehow, since I'm on 2000SP4, I doubt it.

Mike

4. steveke

steveke Registered Member

No, I meant the "direct connect" try might not work with the hardware proxy.

Surprising that Javacool has not encountered this before and dealt with-it would seem that a decent number of people are on such proxies-but what do I know.

I tried to go to www.spywareblaster.net and was auto-redirected to the javacool.com spywareblaster product page-so I guess they have dropped that.

Anyhow-I wish you luck

Steve

5. puce42

puce42 Registered Member

You're absolutely right, and thank you. I appreciate your trying to help.

Actually, they have. I found a few messages regarding previous versions where Javacool says that the product doesn't yet support firewalls that require authentication. I'm wondering when they're going to be adding that support. The lack of it is a really huge barrier to corporate adoption.

Right. The links I've found point to http://www.spywareblaster.net/spywareblaster35, which comes up as a blank page. I'm sure the files are in that directory, but there's simply no directory of them available. If Javacool was to have the web server make that directory listing available, or provide links of their own that are updated with each update to the files, I'd be able to get the updates.

Thanks, Steve.

Anybody else have any ideas? Javacool, are you out there lurking? ;)

Mike

6. puce42

puce42 Registered Member

bump...

7. puce42

puce42 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.