can't update spyguard....

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by generic, Aug 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. generic

generic Registered Member

not sure if this is in the right area... but here goes! Have been hacked in the past (hubby didn't think we need protection). Took the PC in, had it cleaned, Norton Security, Spybot, and SpywareGuard all installed and set by PC expert. Was able to search for updates once. Since then, will not connect to server to search for updates. Current version is 2.2.0. Also cannot enable Mozilla/Foxfire. Any suggestions? Do I have a problem again? (May be possible; since my husband thought that with an open connection you had to block traffic in Norton, which would also block updates to virus protection!) Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

Well 2.2 is the current version... If the definition updates says January 22 then you're already up to date (the heuristics scanner does not need to be updated often). Enable Mozilla? Do you mean you can't use it or what? Please explain. Also wondering if you mean that you stopped all communication through your Norton firewall? If so then you gotta make sure you only allow "trusted" applications to communicate to the internet. Your antivirus would be one of them, Spyware Guard another.

3. ttomomo

ttomomo Registered Member

What does that mean?

I read from Javacool Software Website that 'The most important key to maintaining a secure computer is keeping your protection up-to-date by loading the latest Definitions.' However the latest definition for SpywareGuard is already more than 6 months old (22 Jan).

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

5. ttomomo

ttomomo Registered Member

Hi snowdound,

Thanks for your help. After reading LowWaterMark's thread I understand the gist of how SG update works. However I noticed that a lot of us are having the worry of an out-dated definition, so I would like to suggest, for the peace of mind of most of us, to update the date of the definition once a month even the content is not. Please forgive me if it sounds stupid.

Thanks again, snowbound.

ttomomo

6. erikguy

Well if you look through the Sticky at the top of the forum like the administrators ask you would find the answer BEFORE you would panic and post an unnecessary thread that has already been posted a million times.

7. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

erikguy,

It is not neccessary to reply like that just because someone missed a sticky in a forum.

It happens all the time. ;)

snowbound

8. erikguy

Sorry sir. :oops: But you know as well as I that it shouldn't happen. If it didn't I'm sure all the moderators and administrators would have more time to help someone that really needs help. I've noticed a lot of legitimate questions: licensing, network installs etc. that have gone unanswered. I, as well as other members, not knowing Javacool's policy on this can't really reply to those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.