Cant Uninstall SpywareGuard.

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Azn_Tweaker, Jun 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azn_Tweaker

Azn_Tweaker Registered Member

when i try to uninstalled spywareguard i get an error message.

Attached Files:

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Is that directory (C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\) the actual location of your SpywareGuard installation? What files are in there? If the location is actually different, what is it?

Also, is SpywareGuard still able to actually run on your system, or is it somehow broken of corrupted? (I'm wondering if other pieces of it are missing.) There would be different ways to approach this depending upon your answers.

3. Azn_Tweaker

Hi LowWaterMark.

the directory is: C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard
    and these are the files that are in that folder: config, def2.dtb, dlbdata.dtb, sgbhp,sgmain, spywareguardversion, def1.dtb, dlbdata.dtb, dlprotect.dll, sbliveupdate, sgliveupdate, spywareguard.dll, uninsn000.

i did an system restore, maybe that caused it?

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, I'm thinking there's a couple ways to go here.

You seem to have a mostly functional install there, but you are missing the personalized (perhaps better described - "system specific") uninstaller .DAT file. Without that, the unistaller program doesn't know all your install options so it can't do a clean uninstall. Now, these files can go missing for a lot of different reasons, sometimes even disk cleanup programs delete what they think are excess files, or perhaps something else did it.

Your options are to try to manually remove SpywareGuard. This would involve making sure it is totally disabled and exited first, then deleting the files, directory and registry keys. That can be a pain, but Javacool programs are not very invasive, so they aren't all that hard to manually remove.

The other idea is to disable SpywareGuard fully, and then simply install it again right over the top of the current install. Then turn around and run the uninstaller. The .DAT file should still be there and it should pull everything out.

The key in either case is to make sure it is disable and exited before doing either.

5. Azn_Tweaker

Hi.

i guess im going to reinstall it then remove it :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.