Can't Uninstall Prevx 2

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by silver0066, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Belarc Advisor shows that I have two antivirus software packages installed as does Securty Center. I am using XP Pro SP3 with Avira Free and Threatfire only!

I uninstalled it several months ago and just noticed this when I contacted Cisco regarding not being able to share files on my LAN. They advised that Prevx is the culprit.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of this? I have removed all references to Prevx in the registry and on my system drive as well as the Prevx Removal Tool.....Nothing worked.

Many thanks,

Silver

2. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Probably Threatfire, actually.
    Try disabling Avira's resident, then look at the security centre and see what it advises is active.
    Threatfire is able to be registered as an AV in the Windows Security Centre; yet it can run with another resident AV no problems.
    When installing TF, there is an option (recommended) to not register it with the WSC. If you open the application, click on "Settings>General" and look down the bottom, there is a checkbox you can untick.

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Just to clarify - does the Windows Security Center still report that Prevx is installed, or is it only reporting the other applications?

4. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Don't know about other OS, but with XP if more than one AV is installed it just says "more than one AV is..."
    Necessary to disable one to get a report of what the remaining one is.
    I'm pretty sure Cisco has it wrong, and that TF will turn out to be ...well, not the "culprit", bit the reason for the security centre info.
    And Prevx won't be the culprit.
    In fact, I'd bet a couple of dollars on it. :D

5. horseman

horseman Registered Member

We have precious little info from the OP including the elementary basics of his network server/client environment, actual error message and any other connectivity symptoms but the obvious thing that comes to mind from Cisco's comments is that he's trying to run a Cisco VPN.

Once upon a time there was some tenuous circumstantial evidence that PX did conflict with CISCO VPN client. Paul Stubbs was running with that a (long) while back..... but I don't see a resolution.

If the OP has already attempted to remove PX2 (particularly in SAFE mode), checked for a remnant say PrevxTDI filter in hidden device drivers then he presumably must have some other basis for apparently inferring that Prevx is still on his system?

Of course in the absence of some more substantial elaboration of the OP's environment etc that's also highly speculative.....

6. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

horseman, you could well be right. Or there could be another explanation altogether.
    It's only $2, though.

7. silver0066

Security Center states that it is still installed.

8. silver0066

I finally got it uninstalled. I redownloaded Prevx 2 from their website and installed it.

I then ran the Prevx Removal Tool in SafeMode, and it was gone from the Security Center and Belarc.

Thank you all for the help,

Silver

9. GreenWhite

GreenWhite Registered Member

For those who have niggling problems with uninstalled security products ( not only Prevx ) lingering in the security center, try this;

How to Fix WMI components
    ==========================

Step 1: Register wmidcprv.dll

1. Click Start, click Run, type "cmd" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Type in the following command and press Enter.

Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\wbem\wmidcprv.dll

You will receive a succeeded message.

Step 2: Register WMI components

1. Please click Run, type "cmd" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Type the following commands one by one and press ENTER at the end of each command:

cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem

for %i in (*.dll) do RegSvr32 -s %i

for %i in (*.exe) do %i /RegServer

Note: If the Windows Management Instrumentation Tester window appears, this is normal; just proceed and close it.

Step 3: Reset Windows repository

1 Please click Run, type "cmd" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Type the following commands one by one and press ENTER at the end of each command:

net stop winmgmt

cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem

ren repository repository.old
    (or delete it using the command "rd /s repository" instead of the ren command)

Step 4: Restart the computer
    1. Restart the computer and check whether the issue is resolved.

10. silver0066

Greenwhite,

Thanks for the tip. I have the same remnant on another machine with Rising AntiVirus lingering. I have downloaded Rising again and will try an install/reinstall. If that doesn't work, I will try your method.

Silver

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.