Can't uninstall O&O DiskImage

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by xxJackxx, Nov 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I have O&O DiskImage 7 installed on my PCs. It was installed in Windows 8 and I have since upgraded to Windows 8.1. Now I am trying to remove this piece of junk and it refuses to come off. Can't repair it, can't upgrade over it to remove it. Can't delete the files. It just keeps sitting there in the tray telling me an update is available. :mad:

Any suggestions? Is there an uninstall tool for this? I can't find one anywhere.

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

I used Revo Uninstaller to remove this junk.

Best regards,

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Ask O&O tech support. Perhaps you should have uninstalled DI before upgrading to 8.1. The new version DI 8.x is supposedly compatible with Windows 8.1. Currently the only imaging program that claims that support, AFAIK.

4. xxJackxx

I''l give that a try. Thanks.

I will probably have to do that. I was hoping for something faster, and Revo might be it, I'll see. The upgrade didn't complain that it was incompatible so I didn't give it much thought a the time.

Acronis is also claiming 8.1 compatibility.

--- Thanks aladdin, Revo Uninstaller seems to have taken care of it.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  5. Uffbros

Uffbros Registered Member

Macrium is as well.

6. Robin A.

Could you post the pertinent link? Browsing the website, I don´t see any reference to 8.1 (except one in the knowledge base, which only applies to a particular problem).

7. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

8. xxJackxx

I bought a 3 user license. I won't be upgrading O&O.

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

if you are still having a issue try a reinstall (i know...) then reboot and go ahead and then try to uninstall again. i dont like programs like revo because i find at times they do go ahead and strip out things and the program appears to be removed but it is not revo just made it so it could not be used. what i do like it for is for the times i uninstall a program and then i run it to see if anything is left that still needs removing from that program. i have seen this on a couple rare occasions though with O&O disk image as well as the defrag program.

10. aladdin

Hi Robin,

Even though there is no such claim on most of the imaging software sites they are mostly compatible, including Macrium Reflect and IFW. Those who don't claim and then they claim, want one to upgrade.

Best regards,

Mohamed

11. aladdin

Hi there,

You are welcome. I tried everything too, in the end Revo Uninstaller did the trick.

Best regards,

Mohamed

12. xxJackxx

I tried that, did not work. It said it was incompatible with my OS. Tried to upgrade it to version 8 and that didn't work either. An attempted repair also did not work. Revo removed everything but the filter drivers. Which unfortunately were a horrible mistake to remove manually. The machine refused to boot, even into safe mode. Fortunately it did allow a system restore, at which point I found and removed the registry entries before removing the filter drivers again. Ultimately it was a crummy experience that could only be resolved by using Revo and manually cleaning up the filter drivers, or a format and reinstall. I even tried to restore the Windows 8 image so I could remove O&O and upgrade to Windows 8.1 again. But unfortunately the O&O recovery disk did not recognize my USB devices, so it was never any good in the first place.

13. HAN

HAN Registered Member

No other images available to you? From any other manufacturer? Not even from Windows imaging itself?

This very unfortunate situation points out why cold imaging apps are (IMO) the best. Since they install nothing, there's nothing to Uninstall.

14. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

very true. I never see the need for hot imaging, including file backup by imaging programs. Just use third party boot cd for imaging OS partition and use Windows Explorer to backup your files and directories.

15. xxJackxx

Good point. An offline backup doesn't even have to be compatible with OS upgrades. It's just files. Unfortunately it takes some reserved downtime to run one.

I just hope the 2014 Acronis is better than the 2013. It seems ok so far.

16. Robin A.

It´s not clear to me what you mean by this. All images are "just files", no matter how they were created.

17. aladdin

Hi there,

Can you please post the registry entry and the filter drivers, so that I can remove them from my system too?

Many thanks in advance?

Best regards,

Mohamed

18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

interesting. good to know. i have been able to do this with windows 7 most every time this happened and it removed fine after a proper reinstall but i never tried it with win 8 or 8.1. good that revo worked mostly. i have had instances where after using revo the system would not boot as you had happen when manually removing things. this is why i no longer use revo unless i have to. this is also imo another reason why i still do not use anything made by O&O on any daily use or important machines, way to many issues over the years with their software and never any fixes. they always seem to bring new features or fixes for things i never had issues with in the first place and then never fix the things most users are reporting to them.

19. xxJackxx

The end result is the same. The conflicts while running are not.

20. xxJackxx

I do not remember since they are gone. However, I can help you find them. Go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers (assuming default Windows installation) and look for files that start with "oo" and check the company in the file properties. There were originally 4 of these files. After running Revo there were 2 of them still left behind. DO NOT DELETE THEM YET. Open regedit and search for the file names. Do not include the ".sys" file extension in your search. Most occurrences of these filenames will be as an "upperfilters" value. If it is the only value in these keys, you can delete them. If there are other filters (filenames) listed, you will have to edit the value and remove the oo* from the value and leave the other values intact as these may belong to other disk utilities/antivirus programs. I highly recommend creating a system restore point first so that if something goes wrong you can (hopefully) restore that. If you leave the registry entries and delete the files you will end up in a BSOD loop so make sure to get all of the registry entries cleared. I recommend going to the top of the registry and searching for them again when completed, just to be sure. There really shouldn't be very many keys with these filenames. Probably about 4 of them. Once I figured this out on my desktop I was able to duplicate on my laptop pretty easily. Just be careful and you should be fine.

--- I installed it in a virtual machine so I could get the filenames for you. They are oodivd.sys and oodivdh.sys. Search the registry for "oodivd" and that should find them. There is also a oodisr.sys and an oodisrh.sys but Revo removes those. Again, remember to search the registry for "oodivd" and not "oodivd.sys" as most of the registry entries will not include the extension. "oodivd" should also find the "oodivdh" but you can search for it separately if you want to be extra cautious.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  21. aladdin

Dearest Jack,

Thank you for going such troubles to post the above results. It is very kind of you.

Best regards,

Mohamed

22. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Try this "procedure"...maybe it will be succesfull for you
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2270694&postcount=10

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.