Can't Uninstall ESS

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Mats, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mats

Mats Registered Member

I have a corrupted installation of ESET Smart Security. I got an error that said something like "can't communicate with kernel".

The ESET Knowledgebase instructs me to uninstall ESS via clicking Start --> ESS --> Uninstall but it doesn't work - Uninstall is simply a blank file icon.

So, I try to reinstall ESET Smart Security to either repair my existing installation or at least regain use of the Uninstall feature in the ESET folder.

I downloaded the installation file from http://download.eset.com/download/win/ess/ess_nt32_enu.msi, entering my Username and Password.

The installation pauses at:
    Please wait while the Setup Wizard installs ESET Smart Security. This may take several minutes.

A box then pops up that says:
    The feature you are trying to use in on a network resources that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'ess_nt32_enu.msi' in the box below.

The file is in the C:\ drive - C:\ess_nt32_enu.msi

When I 'browse' to the file and press OK, I get another error box that reads:
    The file 'C:\ess_nt32_enu.msi' is not a valid installation package for the product ESET Smart Security. Try to find the installation package 'ess_nt32_enu.msi' in a folder from which you can install ESET Smart Security.
    Not a valid installation package?

I've downloaded this file 4 separate times from http://download.eset.com/download/win/ess/ess_nt32_enu.msi, entering my Username and Password each time.

I've placed the file in 4 different locations on various drives. Each time I get the same error messages:
    first it is:
    "The feature you are trying to use in on a network resources that is unavailable."​
    and when I 'browse' to the file it is asking for, I get:
    "The file 'C:\ess_nt32_enu.msi' is not a valid installation package for the product ESET Smart Security."​

Anybody have any ideas on how to proceed?

2. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

Hello Mats
    I know that you have seach in Eset Knowledgebase but have you tried to manually uninstall Ess 4 suggested from this link were you also can download Eset uninstaller: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2289
    Best Regards :).............Sometimes can a Av product react on files from former uninstalled Av programs,just something you might consider

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2010
  3. Mats

Mats Registered Member

Thanks for the link Woodgiant.

I used the uninstaller in Safe Mode and it produced this error -

ERROR! ESS/EAV unregister of WSC failed! 0x80004005
    Uninstallation ESS/EAV/EMSX failed.

But, it did remove the majority of the program and ESS stopped running on start up.

Before, when I would boot up the computer, my corrupted ESS caused the computer to be very sluggish and eventually it would hang.

Looking at it with Process Explorer, on boot my CPU usage would immediately be 85-100%.

There were three processes using all the CPU:

C:\Windows\system32\svchost -k rpcss
    C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
    ekm.exe​

The two svchost processes were running because of ESET because after I killed ESET with the Safe Mode uninstall, those two did not consume the 60-70% of the CPU usage they were before.

I've tried to reinstall ESET Smart Security since I still have a few months left on my license, but the installation hangs at 'cleaning up backup files' and I have to do a hard restart with the power button. I guess that since the Safe Mode uninstall had an error, there are some files left that mess with the new install.

Hopefully one of the ESET guys will chime in with some suggestions...

4. culla

culla Registered Member

try revo uninstaller :D

5. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

Try following these steps.

Then reinstall your ESET security solution and see if this resolves your issue.

6. Mats

Mats Registered Member

I looked for that driver in Device Manager|Show Hidden Devices but it doesn't exist.

I used the ESET uninstall program from Safe Mode again but it didn't find anything to uninstall.

I tried installing ESET Smart Security again but once again, it stops at 'Removing backup files'.

At that point, the computer hangs. The mouse still moves but nothing works and the computer is frozen. I have to do a hard restart with the power button.

Upon restarting, I opened ESET Smart Security but it's just a blank window. The normal text is on the title bar and the Standard View toggle is at the bottom of the window, but the center of the window is blank.

I tried to uninstall ESET Smart Security from Start -> Programs -> ESET -> Uninstall.
    But rather than uninstalling, it starts the install process again. Fine, I'm hoping it will complete the installation and then I'll have a working version of ESS.

But almost immediately I get an error that reads:
    The Installer has insufficient priviledges to modify this file:
    C:\Progrma Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\PPESET.dll​

When I closed that window, the ESET icon vanished from my Systray and from my Start button. The ESET folder is still in C:\Program Files\ and is filled with files.

So, I've had two errors that I suspect are causing this problem.

When trying to uninstall from Safe Mode I get:
    ERROR! ESS/EAV unregister of WSC failed! 0x80004005
    Uninstallation ESS/EAV/EMSX failed.​

And when I try to reinstall ESS it stalls at 'Removing backup files' and the computer requires a hard restart.

I've done both of these things 3 times with the same results.

Tony, do you have any other suggestions? I've used ESS for 2 years and would like to continue using it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.