Can't Spy

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by George_S, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George_S

George_S Registered Member

Did the CIA fire me!?

When trying to enable spying on either process or socket, nothing happens. There is never a check mark indicating it is operational nor is the process ever listed in the spying list.

Runing XP HOME with SP2.

Any suggestions?

Also, when clicking to add a process to the list, there are these entries in the window that comes up:

640 csrss.exe \??\C:windows\system32.exe

and

664 WinLogon.exe \??\C:\windows\system32\

Anyone know what the \??\ is all about?

Okay, while here, one more question. Are these normal?

0 System
    4 System

With no further info shown or on double click.

Thanks.

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there,
    Was this from the first install of Port Explorer or did it happen this way since installing SP2 or maybe after installing the last Port Explorer update?
    If you delete the capture.bin from the Port Explorer directory and try to enable spying on a process or socket, do you get better results then?
    Spying again will create a new capture.bin so don't worry deleting it.
    I'm not sure about the ??\ have seen it mentioned somewhere in a discussion about AutoStartViewer as something normal what can happen, not sure if that would be the same here.
    Now i look in that Process list i see i have it too for those same processes; i suppose they start before windows itself starts or such a thing.
    The systemroot starts with a \ even.
    But you should be able to click on one or more of the processes from that list, click OK, and add it to the list, click the add to list button and it should appear in the process list to be spied on.
    Does it work now for you?

3. George_S

George_S Registered Member

Thanks, Jooske. As always, helpful response.

I can't find capture.bin either in the PE directory nor does a system search find it.

I tried reinstalling, should I uninstall then reinstall?

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

If you can't find it, it is not there, as it is created each time when there is spying on something and data written. So indeed there has no spying taken place yet.
    Not all sure what is best this moment.
    Has it ever functioned before on your system, the spying part i mean?
    And if so, did something else break it, like installing SP2 for instance?
    If i remember well when you want to install a new download of it in the installation process is the uninstalling of the current install. If it does not, you better do it yourself manually, (there is an uninstaller in the Port Explorer directory) and reboot.
    SP2 does cause several problems and a new Port Explorer version is being betatested which will deal with SP2 issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.