Can't restore using CD Boot Disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mafriend, Jun 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mafriend

mafriend Registered Member

I am trying to restore my image back up file to my a pc with winxp home. My image data is on an external hard drive.

I place the boot disk in the CD slot and up comes the Acronis software asking me to specify which file to restore. Unfortunately the cursor is nowhere to be seen and the mouse doesn't work. It works fine when i reboot the system into Windows. So I can't restore. What should i do?

I am using true image 8.0

2. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

Is this the first time that you are restoring? If it is then maybe the CD has not been created properly. Burn another CD and see if it rectifies the problem.

3. mafriend

Good idea. I recreated the boot disk and tried to reboot from the new boot disk. had same problem as before.

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

It may well be a mouse compatibility problem, especially if it's a wireless mouse.

Try with a standard PS/2 mouse, if you still have one. Or try using an USB to PS/2 adaptor if the mouse is an USB model.

Or, hit F11 when the computer starts booting from the Rescue CD and on the kernel command line add a space and usbmouse=off after quiet (resulting in: quiet usbmouse=off), then click OK.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  5. mafriend

I did what you suggested at the kernel command. The Acronis software appeared. I used the rt arrow to select restore. Then I receieved an error message: "Failed to read from the sector 0 of the hard disk 0"

I am using a ps2 mouse.

6. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

The next thing that I would do is create an image using the Rescue CD and then see if it will restore the image.

By the way, with the problems you are experiencing, I hope that you are attempting to restore to a spare hard disk. If you corrupt your present OS then you will lose all your data and OS setup, and that would be a disaster. Don't put too much faith in any software until you have had experience with it.

Also, the TI 8 that you are using should have the last update before TI 9 was released.

7. mafriend

What is a Rescue CD? Did it come with True Image?

I'm not sure you understand my issue.

My dsktop pc became corrupted so i did a recovery to it's original pristine windows atate at the time of purchase. Then I inserted the Boot Disk in the cd drive and started getting these problems. I don't understand your suggestion to do another image backup. There is an image backup on my external drive that I want to restore to the desktop pc, but the TI software it seems is not cooperating. Is there any hope of restoring my data? Many thanks for your help.

8. shorton

shorton Registered Member

You can get KB response, just not the mouse? If so, can you ues the KB to navigate. Tab and arrows and Alt X commands seem to work in 9.0. I've had soem mouse compatibility problems in 9 but I haven't seen a reply from my trouble case. I was able to use KB shortcuts to navigate once I got the KB to work. HTH Scott

9. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

mafriend,

First of all, as mark3 said, you should update TI to the latest build released in ver.8. You can find the build # you have now under Help, About.

Rescue CD is another name for the True Image Boot Disk. The one you create with the Create Recovery Media tool from TI main screen. If you purchased a boxed version of TI, you got it in the box, but if you bought the program online (or downloaded an update later), you should have created one yourself. You should always create a new Rescue CD for every new build installed.

How did you perform the recovery to the original state in the first place if you say "... Then I inserted the Boot Disk ..."? You should give a more detailed description of your proceedings.

Also, verify the image before attempting to restore it.

10. mafriend

I installed TI 8.0 on the desktop hard drive and updated to the latest build. I made a new restore disk but when I went to use it the HD does not appear. I no longer get any error messages though, which is a good sign. I think we're on the right track.

You mentioned updating to TI 9.0. Why do you think that might help?

When I went to view the image on the external hard drive where the backup resides the desktop computer could not recognize my Maxtor HD. I will call Maxtor tomorrow to see if they can help me get it to show up. By the way, it does show up in device manager.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

11. mafriend

To anser your question: I was able to restore my desktop by using the original Emergency DVD that came with the FRY's computer. It is not the same thing as the Boot Disk I created in TI that doesn't work yet.

12. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

I'm not familiar with TI 8 so the question may be irrelevant. Can you see the external disk through TI 8 while in Windows?

I don't think that bVolk was advocating it but, if you can afford it, it might be worth while on the basis that it is the latest build. This does not mean that it has not got any faults.

I haven't come across that before. Is the Device Mangement showing it as healthy? Normally, if seen in Device Mangement but not by Windows then it needs to be formatted but you certainly would not want to do that in your case.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mafriend,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Note that since you use an older version of Acronis True Image you should press F11 button when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears and not when the selection screen appears (Acronis True Image 8.0 Bootable Rescue CD does not have any selection screen).

Could you please also check the disks for errors?

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)

- Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r"

where DISK is the partition letter you need to check. Please note, that checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

If the issue persists, please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

You may also download the trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home, create bootable CD using this trial and check how the product works.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.