cant restore from 3 boot disks

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by qwttrsa02, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qwttrsa02

qwttrsa02 Registered Member

I purchased Acronis True Image Home ver 6.0 back in 2003.
    I just had windows go wonky on me, and I need to restore from my last image back up. Which, luckily, is only about 2 months old.

BUT, even though I have attempted to restore from 3 different Acronis True Image boot cd's, I can't get ANY of them to restore my image to the hard drive. :(

I now have:
    6.0 build 322 boot cd: Won't restore because it doesn't recognize the mouse. I can get through most of the menu's with keystrokes, but when it is time to select the partition to restore to, it won't let me select without the mouse.

6.0 350 boot cd: Recognizes the mouse, can't find my hard drives.

10.0 trial boot cd (downloaded today): Recognizes mouse, finds my hard drives, but reboots instead of restoring the image. I get all the way through the menus, hit the "proceed" button, and the computer instantly reboots.
    <sigh>

I've got a windows XP machine (HP a1600n). Running dual boot system with linux, I can still get linux to run thank goodness. I have the backup image on 6 DVD's and on a USB disk drive.

I've always just kind of assumed that as long as I had a True Image backup of my hard drive, I was safe from this kind of disaster. it's quite frustrating to realize that I can't restore that backup. :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I think version 6 and 10 are too far apart for ver. 10 to work with the Images made with ver 6.
    Your best bet is to find what is needed using ver 6 build 322 boot cd to let you go through the entire process. Have you tried a combination of the Tab button, the Down Arrow key or the Spacebar?

I'm not familiar with ver 6. Is there a menu set at the top that you can access via the Alt and a letter key?

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello qwttrsa02,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that jmk94903 is correct. You can use the following key combinations to operate within a wizard:
    Tab and arrow keys – to move focus between controls
    Alt-[letter] - to activate the control with the highlighted [letter]
    Alt-N – to press the Next button
    Alt-B – to press the Back button
    [Space] - to set/remove checkmarks.

Please be aware that Acronis guarantees one-version back compatibility only.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. qwttrsa02

qwttrsa02 Registered Member

Well, I finally figured it out, in large part because of you folks help. so thank you very much.

The problem was that I was attempting to restore a partition image that, while mostly empty, was technically larger than the partition I was installing it into. And that's why no keystroke would allow me to select that partition. So it wasn't the mouse afterall. Just an idiot user.

I never could make the 6.0 350 or 10.0 trial boot cds work, but once I had increased the size of the target partition I was able to make the 6.0 322 boot cd work.

Thank you VERY much for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.